Freshmen find some success playing up on varsity teams

Freshman athletes receive more playing time in a competitive line up.

Freshman Breece Sleeper

Gabby Hamm, Staff Writer

The limited number of players on a roster and the expectations of coaches makes it harder for freshman to compete on varsity teams.

In the rare occasion that a freshman makes a varsity team, their skill needs to meet the expectation of the coach to receive even a minute in the game.

“I think it’s incredibly rare for freshman to be developmentally ready to actually start and play on a varsity team,” Athletic Director, Dennis Walton said.

Some coaches focus on their standards rather than how well they know the player.

“I just look at the skill level and who’s ready to play,” head volleyball coach Ruth Shaw said.

During this past volleyball season, freshman Julia Murray played for less than a year and made the cut on the Varsity Volleyball team.

“I was surprised but really wanted to make varsity,” said Murray. “I didn’t really know the coach beforehand but she was really nice and accepting.”

Freshman Julia Murray
Freshman Julia Murray

A life-long commitment seems like a long time to enjoy playing a sport, but for freshman Breece Sleeper it just happened that way.

“The first time I picked up and dribbled a basketball I must’ve been about 3 years old,” said Sleeper. “I was definitely intimidated when I was going up against bigger, stronger kids, but that’s normal for a freshman.”

The goalie plays a very important role in soccer, freshman Peyton Mckeown proves her worthiness backing up on the Girls’ Varsity Soccer team.

“Even though I played backup goalie, we had four that were on the team, a senior, a junior, a sophomore, and a freshman,” said Mckeown. “The junior and the freshman were the ones that actually played which was kind of cool.”

For athletes that start playing a new sport in high school, it can be pretty challenging, especially a sport like golf, but freshman Logan Magnant pulled it off and landed himself a spot on the varsity golf team.

“This is my first year playing and I practiced a lot this summer with friends,” said Magnant. “I got really close with the upperclassmen on the team and had fun playing this season.”

Senior varsity basketball player Jillian Sheltra acknowledges the benefit of playing in a game.

“I think it’s important for athletes to get exposure to playing scenarios whether you’re down by a lot or up by a lot,” Sheltra said.

For most freshman, it’s very important to know more than just the basics if you’re playing a sport like basketball and for Brook Davis the effort she put into practices led to her success.

“Coach Liz was extremely fair about playing opportunities, but you definitely have to prove to her you want to play,” said freshman basketball player, Brook Davis. “I’ve learned a lot starting on varsity and I still have a lot left to learn over the next few years.”

For very few athletes, their own expectations are higher than their coaches, and Curtis Petit is a hockey player who feels that he needs to expect more of himself to make the team better.

“ I put in lots of work to be successful,” said Petit. “The coach wasn’t as demanding as I was on myself.”

Participating on a varsity team as a freshman can prove to athletes how much potential they really have and may persuade senior athletes like Evan Loignon to play in college.

“I plan on playing club hockey, (and) starting my way to mens league,” said Loignon. “I’ve always had a great experience with hockey and when I got to high school seeing as a freshman how the other kids brought me under their wing definitely helped me.”

Some of the most competitive sports like football, are some of the toughest physically and mentally. Physically because of the competitors you’ll go up against, and mentally because you need to understand each play and what the coach expects of you.

“I think it’s very beneficial for boys to start out on a first or JV team before varsity to get stronger before they’re faced with boys who are bigger and stronger than they are,” head football coach Brian Curit said.

Whether it’s life-long devotion, or half a year of hard work, it really comes down to the coaches and their idea of what will make the team more successful.