For which it stands

Should students have the right to not stand for the Pledge of Allegiance.

Colby Perron, Staff Writer

The Pledge of Allegiance was once an important part of morning announcements, but as the time goes on, it seems to be becoming less routine and more controversial.

Originally instituted in 1892, the Pledge of Allegiance is a 31-word statement that is used to show respect to the country of the United States of America. However, the statement is not as popular with students, as it seems to affect their political or religious beliefs.

Most students stand during the Pledge of Allegiance, yet they often will not recite it. Sophomore Tyler Day, a student that stands for the Pledge, but does not say it, says that it is the student’s right not to stand for the pledge.

“We have the freedom to express yourself, so if you don’t want to stand for it, you don’t have to” Day said.

Day also is an open atheist, believing that some of the reason that people do not stand up is the line “Under God” in the Pledge of Allegiance. He claims that without the one line, added after the original Pledge was written, there would be much less controversy.

“I think it would be fine without it,” Day said.

However, many students disagree with Day, stating that the line has very little religious connotation. Freshman Zachary Laverriere claims that the line is not religious.

“You’re pledging allegiance to your country,” said Laverriere.”You’re not pledging allegiance to God”

Laverriere continued to explain that he feels that people have the right to remain seated, but he feels like the controversy is pointless.

“You should have an opinion,” said Laverriere. “But, it shouldn’t be as big as it is right now.”

While there are students that do not feel strongly about the pledge, there are the students that do feel strongly that it is their duty as an American to say the pledge. In South Portland, students are beginning to say “If you would like to” when inviting the school to say the pledge. Some students feel this is a good idea, yet some, such as sophomore Chris Andrews, do not.

“You could say it, but there’s not really a point.” said Andrews.“If people don’t want to say it, they’re not going to anyway.”

Laverriere agrees with Andrews, stating that what is happening in South Portland is not worth it.

“I definitely think that they are overreacting,” said Laverriere. “I don’t think it’s that big of a deal if you stand or not.”

Sophomore Richard Kidder and senior Emma Neil both do not stand for the pledge. They feel that the school should say “if you would like to” but believe that even with this right, there should be respect.

“I think it is our opinion whether we say it or not,” Neil said.

“But we think that if people don’t stand for it, we should at least stay quiet to show a little respect.” Kidder said.

On the opposite side, some students do stand for the pledge and feel that everyone should. Sophomore Ben Othmer claims that it is our duty as Americans to say the Pledge.

“Personally, I think that standing for the pledge should be mandatory,” said Othmer. “If you’re over here, the least you could do is stand for the Pledge of Allegiance to respect your country.”

Othmer believes that people do have the right not to stand, but he believes that they should still stand regardless of that right simply to show respect.

“I think that people have the right not to, but I don’t think they should have that right.” said Othmer. “It’s not really hurting anyone to stand up and say the pledge, or even just standing along for it.”

Agreeing with Othmer, substitute Rick Ouellette believes that it is the duty of the students, as Americans, to say the pledge.

“My daughter in-law is from Romania, and the first thing her father said to me was, ‘you Americans don’t know how good you’ve got it here,” said Ouellette. “That’s exactly how I feel about it.”

Ouellette says that often he sees students stand and look at the flag in a daze. Students also see their fellow classmates not stand for the pledge.

“If people stand, it usually has nothing to do with their religion,” said Othmer. “It usually is just because they don’t want to.”

Many students seem to agree, it is students’ right as Americans to not stand for the Pledge of Allegiance, however, it is also agreed upon that even those who do not stand should remain quiet in some form of respect. Ouellette says that regardless of what people think, standing or not, the pledge is an important freedom that all Americans have.

“This may be the land of the free, but it’s only as free as people are willing to make it.”