Should senior privileges cover parking spots?

Senior students struggling to find parking think parking spots should be reserved.

Nick Guillerault, Staff Writer

You arrive late to school around eight one cold winter morning, turn into the parking lot and find that the area where you and all the other seniors usually park is filled with cars belonging to underclassmen, frustrated, you drive around to the far corner of the parking lot near the woods.

Aren’t seniors supposed to have privileges that (should) include our own parking spots?

On Feb 4, 2015 at 9:44 a.m., senior Cassidy Sirois tweeted, “ok time for the juniors to find somewhere else to park” — a tweet which generated mild buzz and interest over the issue of underclassmen drivers taking parking spots the seniors feel entitled to.

“I had to go to the other side of the parking lot and try to find spots there,” said Sirois. “Which is sometimes hard because all the COT students park there.”

The chilling winter months mark an especially exasperating time for those parking farther from an entrance.

“I was really far away from the door and I was kind of mad because it was really cold out,” said Sirois. “So I posted that tweet.”

Sirois received some backlash due to her tweet from the underclassmen.

“I got some bad reactions from the juniors,” said Sirois. “But the seniors definitely agree with me.”

Junior Jocelyn Moody thinks that the parking lot should be free to everyone but she can see both sides.

“When I’m a senior, I’ll probably feel entitled, which is just natural,” said Moody. “I don’t think I’ll make a huge deal about it though.”

Unlike many of her peers, junior Charlotte White sympathizes with the seniors, recommending parking on the side of the road for underclassmen.

“It’s their last year and when we become seniors we’re going to want that spot,” said White. “It’s always kind of been their spot.”

The biggest reason that that area is desirable is convenience, but White also believes that it could be something else that drives students to covet those few spots.

“If everyone fits then it shouldn’t be too much of a problem,” said White. “I feel like it’s more of a social thing to want to park there.”

Both Sirois and senior Jordan Stickles agree that the section in the parking lot that they believe should be for the senior class are the second and third rows on the right, behind the teacher’s row because these are closer to the front of the school.

“Juniors need to stop taking our spots,” said Stickles. “We didn’t take the senior spots when we were younger, we took the spots that were available for all us, not where the seniors like to have their area.”

Administrative assistant Lisa Berry, previously unaware of this ongoing dispute, disagrees with the idea of a designated area for seniors in the parking lot.

“Would I say that seniors are entitled to that or deserve that? Not really,” said Berry. “My opinion would be that I think everyone is entitled to a spot — whether you’re a junior, senior, sophomore, or even freshman.”

Berry says that a reason that there is no assigned parking is the increasing amount of student drivers.

“Nowadays we even have some sophomores that are getting their licenses,” said Berry. “We just don’t have enough for everyone.”

There are no current plans to assign areas of the parking lot to grades or students.

“I’m all for them trying,” said Berry. “But anyone that drives should be able to park here.”