AP test score importance according to the list

Colleges make a list of most important to least important in the application process.

Emily Gelinas, Staff Writer

Various four year colleges were asked to make a list of important qualities for what they look for in an applicant.

The most important on the list are students grades in college prep classes, below that strength of curriculum, and eight more below that the AP test scores.

Some students were shocked by the order of things on the list, while others expected it to be in the order it was. When shown the criteria of importance to colleges, students like Taylor Turgeon weren’t shocked at what they saw.

“I honestly wasn’t surprised because test scores sometimes don’t reflect how well a student does in school and I think colleges are starting to see that more,” said Turgeon. “Which is why I think the strength of curriculum is high on the list because they want to see that you pushed yourself, no matter what your test scores may be.”

AP test scores are shown as “not-as-important” in the college application process. Turgeon still thinks that they are important for a few reasons.
“I think the AP test scores are important for two reasons; one because we pay so much to take the test so it’s always good to get the score you want to ensure that your money didn’t go to waste,” said Turgeon. “The second reason is that we get a college credit if we get a certain score which is always great because we won’t have to take the class in college, and that’s saving even more money.”

Guidance counselors, including Dolores Charest, handed out the “Factors in the Admission Decision” sheet made by the National Association for College Admission Counseling (NACAC) for seniors and soon-to-be seniors.

“They are looking for solid grades and a strong curriculum,” said Charest. “They are looking for college prep classes and above so if you’ve taken some advanced placement classes that definitely looks better than somebody that hasn’t. So when they talk about strength of curriculum they want to know are you really challenging yourself.”

If students do good in the overall AP class, chances are they will do a good job on the test,  sophomore Josie Sheltra thinks.

“I think the AP test is more important because you should already know the stuff you learn and if you know it then you will probably already have a higher grade in that class,” Sheltra said.

Some students are confused on whether it’s better to take a more advanced AP class or a more relaxed CP class.
“You want to really challenge yourself but you really want to get a decent grade,” said Charest. “If you were to take an AP class and you thought you were totally unprepared for example for, AP chemistry and you took it anyway just because you thought having AP on there would look good on your transcript, but you got a D you would have been better off doing a CP class.”