The Problem with the Pledge

For years, students across America have stood up from their seats at the beginning of the day and recited the pledge.
Only recently has there been an uproar as to whether or not the pledge should be something that is mandatory. With all of the new personalities and beliefs in America today, it is understandable when several people step out of their shadows to disagree with what has been what we were used to for years.
We, The Roar, believe that if you do not feel comfortable with the words said in the pledge, you should have the freedom to be able to sit down in your seat until morning announcements are over and class begins.
Many people say to just skip a line if it’s something that you don’t identify with. However, there aren’t just people that identify with different religions, there are people that identify with different sexualities, genders, and ways of living their day-to-day lives.
While there may be people that don’t wish to say the pledge, many people judge them for doing so. Whether it be for not showing pride for their country, or for just not agreeing with what they do.
In today’s world, it’s hard to find people that agree on every subject that comes up. People have the full right to believe that people should have to stand for the pledge, but that doesn’t mean that everybody has to abide by that opinion.
Instead of judging people for whether they decide to stand up or sit down, respect the way they decide to live their lives, even if it’s something that you don’t agree with. Nobody should feel pressured to do something that they aren’t comfortable with. Besides, America is (well, sometimes) all about Equality. Learn to accept the things around you for what they are, not what you want them to be.
America is about learning to live in a place with people that don’t believe the same things that you do, or becoming friends with somebody of a different race, or gender, or religion. What really matters is that difference is okay, and whether you decide to recite the Pledge of Allegiance or not, the world is still going to keep spinning.