More than just a girl in a Hijab

Wering a Hijab is just a tiny piece of the Muslim culture.

More than just a girl in a Hijab

Tiffany Curro, Staff Writer

Walking through a crowd of teenagers dressed in short shorts and cropped t-shirts, one young woman wears a long modest dress, and a Hijab that only reveals the smallest amount of skin.

For most students at Biddeford High School it is not hard to tell that these girls are immersed in another culture.  They are from places like Iraq, Tunisia, and other foreign countries. Things like clothes and traditions came with them from places they originally lived.  However due to wars and other dangerous situations some Muslim families had to move to a safer place.

“I lived here [for] almost two years,” said junior Dana Abdulhay.  “My family moved here because there was problems with the president, and there was a revolution.  Some people who also moved out went to places like Europe and other places, but my family moved here.”

They do continue many cultural things though.  Many girls take on the huge responsibility of the Hijab, which is a very religious symbol that Muslims wrap around their head.

“In order to wear a Hijab you must be ready, usually girls around 14-15 years old, but that is different for everyone,” said Abdulhay. “It’s something you have [to] decide and be sure about, because you have to commit to it.  You can’t wear it one day and then not another.  It is for life.”

To pair with their Hijabs, many girls also wear certain clothing to ensure that they are covering themselves the way their religion would prefer.

“We can wear whatever we want, it just can’t be tight,” said Abdulhay. “Like I wear a loose shirt and jeans and that is okay.  Many Muslim girls wear long black dresses, because it is traditional and modest.”

This may all seem a little different, but there is something that many people don’t realize.

“We are not the only ones who wear Hijabs and loose fitting dresses,” said Abdulhay.  “Even Christian nuns wear them.  It isn’t just a Muslim thing, because other religions do it too.”

Hijabs are not the only thing that make them similar to Christians.

“Islam and Christianity are almost same,” said Abdulhay. “The difference [is we Muslims] don’t believe in Jesus. Well we do, but only as a prophet and not a god.”

Another thing that links to Christians is the conservative aspect.  Catholics are supposed to save themselves until marriage, and that is the same for freshmen Masarah Saadoon, who is also Muslim.

“My parents allow me to date anyone, but I just need to stay pure,” said Sadoon.  “Like I can kiss guys, but everything else is not till I am with my husband.

Girls like Abdulhay, however are looking more into a long-term relationship.  She is already thinking of who is marriage material.

“I want to be with a boy who is Muslim or a Christian who will convert to Muslim for me,” Abdulhay said.

Even though this limits the amount of guys to choose from, Abdulhay is okay with that.  She says this is a religious-based decision.

“I want my kids to be Muslim [and] in my culture the kids take the religion of their dad… So he has to be Muslim so that my kids can also be Muslim,” Abdulhay said.

Even though Abdulhay wants to keep her future family Muslim, she wants to stay here in America.  She claims that her experience in America has been better than most.

“I have never been picked on,” said Dana.  “Everyone here is very nice to me.  But in the South, there are Muslims who are sometimes killed just because they are Muslim.  People assume that we all are like terrorist, and believe that what they did was good, but we don’t.”

This idea that all Muslims are the same doesn’t make it easier for Americans and Muslims to mix.

“I think that also divides us,” said Abdulhay.  “It is so sad to know that some people think that we all agree with the attacks, and that is why we are all like one.  I believe that there is some division, because of that.”

Although previous tragedies divide people, it is not the only thing.  There is also a huge language barrier.

“It is really challenging, but English is our second language,” said Abdulhay.  “It is not like here [in America] where you take French or Spanish [as your second language]. You must take English.”

Just because Muslims are taught English does not mean all of them are fluent once they arrive to an English speaking country..

“I think that language is also something that divides Muslims and everyone else,” said Abdulhay.  “It is our second language but we are not real good at speaking English.”

Since they are not fluent when they arrive at Biddeford High School they have their own class that allows them to transition more smoothly. English Language Learner teacher Cynthia Volin spends her time her teaching the transferred students.

“So I teach them English opposed to a foreign language,” said Volin “I [also] teach them how to adjust to this society, to different cultural expectations, and to just expose them to things.  If they need help in their mainstream classes then I do that too.”

Even with all these obstacles in their way, there is something that keeps these girls continuing their traditions … Pride.

“[I am proud to be a Muslim], because it is the religion of peace,”  said Abdulhay. “Even the word “Islam” means peace.  [By carrying out the traditions,] I feel closer to God.”