Tigers lose 3-0 against Thornton Academy

Gabby Hamm, Staff Writer

The Tigers put up a great fight throughout the entire game, but playing the game without two key players slowed their momentum.

With TA’s 1-0 lead in the first half, the tigers tried their best to pull through against one of the strongest competitors this season according to senior Erin Martin.

“We had been looking forward to playing TA all year,” said Martin. “They’re always a great team and [they] scored a couple quick goals in the first half, but we competed the whole game.”

With an arm injury for senior defenseman Peyton Janelle in the first half, and a concussion for sophomore midfielder Ailaina Keely in the second, the team had to atone for the loss of players.

“The injuries motivated me to play harder for my teammates,” said Martin. “They brought out the fire in all of us.”

Without the injuries this season, Martin believes the game could have ended differently.

“We’re a team and all of us together work better than losing two of our best players in that game,” said Martin. “Even Mia, who hasn’t been able to play all year, makes three other key players we missed that game which would have been a huge help.”

For senior AnnaMarie Seiler, playing as goalie serves as her main position, but Coach Boynton gave her a chance to play in the field with the rest of the seniors and make the best of the situation they were in.

“I was a little sad to not be finishing my senior year in net, but to be honest, it was amazing getting to run around with my girls,“ said Seiler. “My coach never lets me play field because he was afraid I’d get hurt but It was awesome.”

The game came to a close after TA scored two more goals in the second half and the reality of the senior’s last soccer game as a Biddeford Tiger at Waterhouse Field really hit hard.

“It’s incredibly heartbreaking and painfully uplifting to know that my high school soccer career is done,” said Seiler. “I’ve played soccer with the seniors since we were five and six, so knowing that that’s over now feels like I just broke up from a ten-year relationship.”

Martin felt as though it was more about making memories at the last game than the actually winning against TA.

“After the game we were drinking root beer and eating whoopie pies in the center of the field with tears in our eyes; nobody wanted to be the first to leave,” said Martin. “It truly didn’t matter the outcome of the game at that point, the goodbye was much harder.”

Biddeford Girls’ soccer held it’s final game of the season and ended in a loss of 3-0 against TA.

“The team never stopped playing for each other,” said Coach Darren Boynton. “They absolutely never stopped whistle to whistle and that’s more important than any win.”