The Monthly Five: October’s Picks

We all have that one friend who texts you as soon as they find a new song they love, or dances (pretty embarrassingly) to every song on the radio, right?

I’m that friend.

One thing you’ll learn very quickly in this column is that music makes me very excited. I love finding new music and listening to my favorite songs over and over again until I’ve memorized every lyric and beat. In this column, I’ll introduce you to five new songs I’m obsessing over each month, and hopefully give you some new favorite songs. So here we go:

1. “Runnin’” (Lose It All) by Naughty Boy ft. Beyoncé

Well, as soon as I knew this song featured Beyoncé, I was already obsessed with it. It’s more of a pop song, but it’s not as upbeat as most pop songs tend to be. The airy beats combined with Queen B’s insane vocals create something I can’t help but love. Needless to say, Naughty Boy (please find a new name) did himself a favor by collaborating with Beyoncé.

1. “Firestone” by Kygo ft. Conrad

Oh, this song is a jam. I would categorize it as a dance song, which makes sense because I have to dance it when it comes on. This artist isn’t as well-known, so I’d never heard his music before this song. His style kind of resembles Calvin Harris. It has the perfect combination of light and harder-hitting beats, and Conrad’s voice is like an angel’s (and he has a better name than Naughty Boy, so that’s a plus).

1. “Plastic Bag” by Drake and Future

Okay can we just talk about how much of a jam every song on “What a Time to be Alive” is?!?? For those of you who have no idea what I’m talking about, it’s a rap album that Drake and Future just dropped. It’s very overwhelming, and I think I cry every time I think about how much I love Drake. But anyways, this song has more of a mellow vibe compared to some of the other songs on this album, but there’s just something about it that I love. It makes me want to go give Drake a hug or something (probably not but that’s the best way I can describe it).

1. “In the Night” by The Weeknd

This. song. is. the. jam. (I say that a lot but it’s so true all these songs are jams). It’s very upbeat compared to a lot of other songs by The Weeknd, so it has more of a pop style to it. Most of The Weeknd’s songs have more of an R&B style, but this track comes out of the blue on their new album Beauty Behind the Madness. I absolutely love the switch up.

1. “Powerful” by Major Lazor

Oh my god. Ellie Goulding on this track is fire. Everything about this song is fire. It has an electric/pop vibe to it, and resembles a lot of other songs by Goulding. I first heard this song on the radio (I almost got in an accident because I was dancing so hard but it’s really fine) and wanted it to play over and over again. I get so excited listening to this song I think I could jump out my car window. Just listen to it and you’ll see what I mean (p.s. if you can’t jam to this song we can’t be friends).

So there’s my top five this month! I hope I gave you guys some new music, and let me know what you think!