The Monthly Five: January’s Picks

Hi everyone! Here I am again obsessing over music and probably seeming very crazy about normal songs, but I guess that’s my job. This month, I tried to choose a variety of different kinds of music, hoping to appeal to all of your music tastes. I’m calling this month’s five the “Songs to Sing to in the Car” playlist because honestly, I don’t think I’ve ever sung (the wrong words, of course) harder to any songs than I have to these ones. Try not to get in an accident.

So, here are this month’s five:

1. “When We Were Young” by Adele

When I say this song is absolutely beautiful, it is still an understatement. Adele brings you into the story with her somehow effortlessly impressive vocals. I sound like such a girl, but I really can’t even. The simple beat of the song emphasizes her angelic voice even more. Even if you don’t usually listen to Adele’s alternative-style music, give it a listen. New year, new music, right? (Ew).

1. “Oui” by Jeremih

I am in LOVE with this song. I don’t think I’ve ever heard a jam-song by Jeremih, but this was a pleasant surprise from him. He has an R&B style, and this song, in particular, has kind of a pop-sounding style, too. I’ve never been a big Jeremih fan, but I tried something new for once and am very glad I did.

1. “Exchange” by Bryson Tiller

Bryson Tiller blew me away ONCE AGAIN. He is on fuego. Like Jeremih, Tiller has an R&B/rap style, and is kind of similar to Drake as well. He has been an underground artist for a while, and just recently found a lot of success with his song “Don’t” (shameless plug: see December’s Five for a review). If you take one thing away from this article, go listen to his album “TRAPSOUL.” Trust me, you will not regret it.

1. “Confident” by Demi Lovato

Okay, I have to admit something. I hated this song when I first heard it. I thought it was just another pop song by Demi (who I NEVER listen to), and brushed it off. Then, I actually listened to the whole song instead of switching the station, and I actually love it. It’s definitely one of her best songs, if not her best. If you don’t usually like Demi’s music, see what you think about this one. Believe me, if I like one of her songs, anything is possible.

1. “Adventure of a Lifetime” by Coldplay

It’s been a minute since Coldplay has been on my radar, but this song is literally a masterpiece. Coldplay has always been an alternative band, but this song has a really catchy, pop-like beat to it. I was really surprised when I first heard it because it’s very rare that they make something that’s “radio music,” so to speak. Nevertheless, I could listen to it all day.

So, there’s my top five this month! Please feel free to leave suggestions in the comments for any songs you love right now, I would love to hear your opinion! Until next month!