SmackHigh brings shame to Maine

Megan Friel, Editor in Chief

In a world of Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook, it’s not uncommon for rumors to spread and gossip to travel fast. We are stuck believing that everybody’s business is our business. I struggle as I wonder, when did we become so interested in others?

SmackHigh, a popular nationwide Twitter account focused in each state, is just one topic of conversation here at Biddeford High School. This account is not only known for its crude posts and offensive comments, but also for the gossip it creates. Students within each school can send in anonymous posts that SmackHigh then tweets. These posts are mostly negative, with posts ranging from trash talk about a football game to derogatory comments over a girl’s post on Instagram.

Within this Twitter account are “reps” for each high school who are able to post for their school. The account also posts submissions sent in from students in Maine. This account is far from friendly, though. This is a burn book. The posts surrounding and posted by this account are nothing but negative – only posted to hurt someone. The problem with the anonymity of the account infuriates me. Not only is this company liable for the tweets they send out, but they are too cowardly to step away from their keyboard and address these issues in real life. Rumors, trash-talking, and insults are the only thing mentioned on this page, but the worst part are the followers.

With followers reaching over 17,000, it amazes me how so many people can find interest in such a negative thing. It’s not just this account, though, where I find myself stunned. Whether it be gossip over relationships or talk over a new Instagram photo, people are drawn to the buzz. Our generation is obsessed with finding out the latest posts or commenting on the newest Twitter fight. I see no interest in the speculation around other’s personal business. It upsets me that our entertainment is other’s problems. Almost once a week, I see a “subtweet” or a Twitter fight, to which the next day I arrive at school, and everyone has an opinion on the drama.

It frustrates me that we feed off of this type of interest. We are so bored with our own lives and surrounded by our peers every day of our lives that it’s our nature to be interested in what others do and say. This accounts for anything, though, that peaks our interest. Whether it be a conversation we’re left out of or a joke that we missed, we always want to know what we’ve missed out on. We’re focused on other’s opinions, as well as other’s drama, because we always need to be “in the loop.”

I’m concerned for our generation. When the topic of conversation is a post from SmackHigh, I worry that we’ve become too involved in petty problems. I’m more concerned, though, that there is a franchise revolved around making others feel bad. As far as I’m concerned, SmackHigh will never have my follow.