The Movie Buff April: Labyrinth

The Movie Buff reviews the classic David Bowie film "Labyrinth."

Colby Perron, Staff Writer

Hello everybody, I am the Movie Buff and this month. Due to the lack of movies coming out and my inability to get interested in any of them, and because it was at the theater for one day, I will be reviewing one of my all time favorite fantasy films: Labyrinth.

Labyrinth is a film created by Jim Henson and George Lucas starring David Bowie and an entire cast of puppets: aka, the weirdest film put onto the silver screen.

The film centers around Sarah (played by Jennifer Connelly), a sixteen year old girl (who I’m 99% sure is schizophrenic) who is unable to cope with growing up and pretends she lives in a fantasy world and still has every stuffed animal she’s ever owned.

Sarah is tasked with babysitting her baby brother, and, being the whiny teenager that she is, she manages to wish away her brother into the hands of the evil goblin king, Jareth (played by the legendary David Bowie.) Jareth tells Sarah that she has 13 hours to solve his labyrinth to rescue her brother or he will become a goblin and live in Jareth’s castle forever. So Sarah sets out into the ever-twisting Labyrinth that makes that corn maze that you could never solve look like a pair of tangled headphones: annoying, but easy to solve.

Being a 1980’s film created by Jim Henson and George Lucas, this movie is going to give you the weirdest trip, even without any drugs. Following Sarah through the labyrinth and meeting up with all of the strange characters feels like something straight out of a stoner’s sketch book.

Despite it being weirder than your uncle that you only ever see on Thanksgiving and you know nothing about, I thoroughly enjoy this movie every time I watch it. The best part is easily all of the characters. While I adore David Bowie, Jareth definitely isn’t the best character in the slightest. No, that honor goes to the only character from a movie that’s not “Star Wars” that I believes needs his own movie: Sir Didymus.

Sir Didymus is a fox knight who doubles as the guard to the Bog of Eternal Stench, not allowing anyone to pass without his permission. Didymus is easily the funniest character in the movie and brings about a major sense of fun and whimsy that otherwise wouldn’t be present. Didymus, paired up with his cowardly steed, a sheepdog named Ambrosius, are the sense of familiarity derived from Henson’s other characters, especially the Muppets.

However, while Didymus is the best character, many of the other characters are quite good as well. Along with him we have: Hoggle, the curmudgeon dwarf who can’t decide what he wants to do. We also have Ludo, the loveable beast who speaks much like Cookie Monster, the Jamaican-sounding fiery creatures who can take off their heads and toss them around, the helping hands (which might very well be the scariest things in film history, among many other terrifying creatures that could only come out of the minds of Henson and Lucas.

Another amazing part of the film is the music. Being comprised entirely of songs written and performed by David Bowie, I am a sucker for all of it (a song called Magic Dance is easily the best, I suggest listening to it.) However, the score is also wonderful, featuring the sense of fantasy that only the synthesizer of the 1980’s can produce.

The story is quite familiar, one in which someone must go into another world to learn about how good they have it in theirs, it’s been done a million times. However, it is the music, the characters, and the world that really makes this film absolutely stellar. I don’t score movies in this column, but if I did, this would definitely be towards the top. It is my all time favorite Fantasy movie and one of my favorite movies of all time.

Have you seen Labyrinth? If so, what do you think of it? Next month I will be reviewing the highly anticipated “Captain America: Civil War,” so stay tuned for that one. Until then, I am Colby Perron, and this has been The Movie Buff.