What Bernie fans should do in next month’s election

With Trump and Hillary coming down to the trail end of their campaigns, The Roar is here to help Bernie fans who are still undecided.

Creative Commons

Creative Commons

The Presidential election continues to grasp the attention of our nation, and whether you are pro-Trump or pro-Hillary, many issues have arisen since independents have no prominent candidate to vote for. Since Sanders’ withdrawal from the campaign, he has endorsed Hillary as his chosen candidate in place of him. Some think his decision was betrayal on the nation and the Independent party alike, while others think he gave up too soon.

With much thought and consideration, we, The Roar, believe that Sanders’ choice was insightful and wise and in no way cheated the United States out of what we believe was a worthy candidate for presidency.

Since Sanders saw that he was falling behind in the polls, he didn’t want to risk splitting the Democratic vote between him and Hillary and therefore electing Trump as president. He realistically looked at his options and came to the conclusion that Hillary and Trump were the nationwide phenomenon and controversy, engulfing every platform from newspapers to social media to television. Trump and Hillary news articles swallowed up Sanders–therefore, many people hardly kept him in the back of their mind when debating their candidate choices. Sanders weighed his options, and considering his complete opposition to Trump and how he seemed to have a substantial lead on Hillary, Hillary and Sanders would split the Democratic vote and Trump would win. In order to prevent Trump from winning and give Hillary a better chance at winning, he opted to support Hillary–whom he thinks is the better candidate of the two leading the polls–and withdraw from his candidacy.

Although Bernie fans were disappointed, The Roar believes that his decision was thoroughly thought out, realistic, and very wise. After his withdrawal, Sanders declared the following statement talking about Trump: “We do not need a president whose cornerstone of his campaign is bigotry, is insulting Mexicans and Latinos, and Muslims and women, who does not believe the reality of climate change when virtually every scientist who has studied this issue understands we are at a global crisis. This is not somebody who should become president”[The Guardian]. Therefore the next best and realistic choice to win is Hillary, and according to Sanders, Clinton is much more fit for presidency than Trump, as he stated: “This campaign is about the needs of the American people and addressing the very serious crisis that we face. And there is no doubt in my mind that, as we head into November, Hillary Clinton is far and away the best candidate to do that” [WTTW].

Therefore, we, The Roar, advise voters to not write in Sanders’ name at the election because doing so will split the democratic vote and give Trump the presidency. Instead, we think Bernie supporters should follow in Sanders’ footsteps and give Hillary their vote. Even though she might not be the perfect candidate for some, we believe, like Sanders, that Hillary is worthy of presidency and would do a just job taking care of our nation.