Kim K scandal teaches valuable lessons

Lauren Paquet, Editor

Welcome back everyone! This month, I’ve decided to address the Kim Kardashian robbery scandal in Paris. As some of you may know, on October 3, Kardashian was held at gunpoint at her private hotel in Paris and was robbed of millions of dollars worth of jewelry, including her 4.5 million dollar engagement ring from husband Kanye West. In several interviews, Kardashian explained that this can be accredited to her flaunting the jewel on Snapchat and other social media platforms, and has since retreated from posting as much on her Snapchat, Instagram, and Twitter. After the incident, Kardashian also rethought how she dressed, thinking that flaunting more provocative looks could have increased the chances of this happening. Needless to say, I have a LOT to say about both of these statements.

First of all, Kim shouldn’t blame herself at all for the incident. Although it’s normal to do that and it’s all part of the coping process, which I completely understand, it is in no way her fault for someone’s mental instability. However, I do agree with her decision to stop posting her wealth on social media so much. When you’re in such a financially stable position as Kardashian, it’s easy for jealousy to arise. And since anyone can view her social media profiles, it’s scarily accessible for creeps to see where she is, what she owns, and what she’s doing. In her position, being more private with sharing her location and wealth is a must. Especially with Kim’s openness in everything she does from her reality show to her activity on social media, it’s important that after this incident, she puts her safety first instead of her fans. For everyday people like the rest of us, it’s important to realize that not everything we do has to be posted for everyone to see. You can hang out with your friends without posting a Snapchat story, you can go on vacation without fifteen million Instagram posts, and you can go through a really stressful or sad time without tweeting about it every two seconds. Sometimes keeping things to yourself or coping with it in a more personal way is the right way to go.

Second of all, the fact that Kim blames herself for the robbery because of how she’d been dressing, I think it’s absolutely ridiculous. No woman should feel like they are provoking violence by showing skin–that’s like saying that a woman deserved to be assaulted because they were asking for it with their outfit. That’s not the problem. The problem is that some men, like the robbers, think that they can get away with anything if a woman isn’t afraid to show some skin or show off an engagement ring. In my opinion, we should focus on teaching men how to respect women rather than saying that Kim was stupid for not expecting to get robbed because of her outfit choices. She’s a confident woman and a great example for young girls to be confident with their own bodies, and this incident shouldn’t affect that in any way. The way women dress has nothing to do with their consent, and it says nothing about how sexually promiscuous they are. If a woman wants to cover up head-to-toe, they should be able to do so without being called a prude, and if a woman wants to show off some skin, they shouldn’t be looked at as any less of a human being. Of course, there is a time and place for any outfit, and you should use your judgement accordingly, but nothing changes the fact that women deserve respect no matter what they choose to wear.

With all of this in mind, there are many lessons we can learn from this incident. Having a private Instagram and Twitter, and only accepting friends you know and trust on

Snapchat and Facebook is a must in today’s world. You never know who can see what you post, and there are a lot of crazies out there. We can learn just as much as Kim from this situation–safety always comes before social media.