Creating changes for transgender students

For centuries, gender could be divided into two specific categories: male and female. As times change and things progress, gender moved along with it. Just a few years ago, the only widely known gender identity was cisgender. Cisgender means a person identifies with the gender they were assigned at birth. For instance, if a person was assigned male at birth and identifies as male throughout their life, they are cisgender.

However, not everyone these days identifies as cisgender. Therefore, in a lot of school districts and other public places, accommodating for transgender people is important. A significant change lies in providing a restroom for transgender students. Having to pick a male or female bathroom can be extremely uncomfortable for them.

We, The Roar, support the decision of Biddeford High School assigning designated restrooms for transgender students.

On each floor, one of the teacher assigned bathrooms switched over to a gender neutral restroom. This allows for anyone who feels uncomfortable in a single-sex restroom to feel comfortable in school.

These gender neutral restrooms came about thanks to the Biddeford Allies. The Biddeford Allies support and help LGBT students find a comfortable place at Biddeford High School. Some of the students in the club felt uncomfortable with the previous bathroom situation and the club started to the process for considering changes. With meetings to find a solution for transgender students rights and providing options for the restrooms, they lobbied for a change within the school.

The gender neutral restrooms could potentially create an inconvenience for the teachers. However, the importance lies in providing a restroom for transgender students. Having to decide on a bathroom or unable to use the bathroom that fits their identity can be a very uncomfortable situation.

We believe Biddeford High School is on the right path to creating change. In a school, it’s important to provide options for transgender students. While there may be other obstacles ahead and new challenges to overcome, BHS looks like it will be able to handle anything.