Repeal for Obamacare brings controversy to America

Meg Friel, Editor in Chief

With a new president-elect soon to be in office as the official POTUS, new changes are certain to come to the United States, including the controversial repeal of the Affordable Care Act.

As President-Elect Donald Trump inches his way closer to office, the  Republican party begins to strip the ACA of it’s power until they abolish it completely. While some people support this repeal, others believe that this will ruin the country and cause millions to die. We, The Roar, believe that President-Elect Trump should not repeal the ACA due to it’s many benefits to the American people.

The ACA makes it affordable for an insurance plan to cover you when you need it, with the exception of Americans with deductibles up to $20,000 who have to pay out of pocket for everything up to that amount. With the ACA, there are few limits to the amount of benefits you’re able to receive. For many people, the ACA allows them to be properly treated without worry of a limit to this treatment. For example, many people diagnosed with cancer are able to receive continuous, affordable care at minimum cost for the duration needed. This benefits many Americans with illnesses.

The ACA covers preventative health services with no co-pay. Now with the ACA, one is able to receive preventative healthcare, such as a shot, with no cost of a co-pay. For many young people, these preventative health services are vital to protecting their health in the future. This makes it easier and more affordable for the consumer while also saving lives in the long run.

However, many people affected by the ACA are unhappy with the push of healthcare being brought upon them. With these regulations, those who can afford healthcare must obtain health care and pay a fee as a penalty based on not having health insurance. This makes it so that those who don’t feel it’s necessary to obtain health care must still have it, and those who don’t must pay a fine. However, this is a small price to pay for the millions of lives that will be saved due to the ACA and these fees. In addition to this, having health care is becoming more and more important in the modern day due to many increasing diseases and health problems.

We, The Roar, believe that President-Elect Trump should not repeal the ACA due to it’s many benefits to the American people. This act is vital to many Americans who are suffering for a lack of health care when they need it the more. The Affordable Care Act is a small price to pay for the potential lives that could be saved.