What I’ll miss about the 44th president

Lauren Paquet, Editor

With the recent inauguration of the 45th president, Donald Trump, and in light of the negativity everywhere from social media to just about every news station and magazine, I want to focus this month’s column on what I enjoyed about having Barack Obama as my president from fourth to twelfth grade:

1. Watching the former president and first lady raise their two children so gracefully and humbly

From going to school to having everyday chores to even having a normal summer job, Sasha and Malia Obama have truly turned into poised young women. They have proven to the country that Barack and Michelle not only instilled their values in the American people, but most importantly, in their children.

1. Michelle Obama and I bonding over our love for sweet potatoes

There used to be this vine and Michelle Obama was like, “My favorite vegetable is sweet potatoes,” and I was like, “OMG me too!” and then we became best friends. She also made school lunches a lot healthier, so shout out to her, honestly.

1. Seeing how cute Barack treats Michelle all the time

I don’t know about you, but I think Michelle Obama is one lucky woman. Barack constantly talks about her so respectfully and recognizes how amazing she is to have taken on a role she didn’t sign up for and represent that role so gracefully. He shows so much affection and gratefulness  towards her and portrays what it really looks like to respect and love one’s partner.

1. Barack and Joe Biden’s bromance

These two seemed to be inseparable, and they only got closer as the years went by. From the endless Twitter memes of them to their matching friendship bracelets, these two are the definition of a bromance.

1. Okay–everything

I know I haven’t lived long enough to have many other people as my president, but I really do think Obama did so much good for our country. He went into office during a recession, created more jobs, secured health care for many Americans who couldn’t afford it, and overall, handled the position with poise. I’m going to miss listening to his always well-spoken speeches and addresses, and seeing news coverage of him taking some vacation time and always playing a game of basketball. This family not only shaped my childhood, but they also shaped what it looks like to humbly handle power and the most important job in our country.
Although of course I’m nervous for the future of this country as many of us are, I really do believe in the American people, and I most definitely believe in our courage to always stand up for what we believe in. No matter what, I think we will be okay.