The roles in education

In every coming-of-age movie there is a teacher that guides the protagonist to learn not only academics – but the world. However, there comes a point where the friendships between teachers and students can start to become less professional and more of a hangout session.

We, The Roar, believe teachers should have friendly relationships with students. However, there is a point where a teacher needs to be the teacher and not just a friend. There is a lot of gossip within the walls of any high school. Gossip finds ways to inhabit nearly every student’s life. This is not helped when teachers involve themselves within the gossip. Students should be able to vent, to have someone to talk to about their problems. However, a teacher should not be going along with the gossip and poking at it. A teacher is there to help the student recover from the typical gossip that comes along with high school — not engage in it. Not only could it be considered unprofessional, but it doesn’t necessarily help the gossip become resolved.

The idea of “favorites” comes into play a lot within every classroom. Obviously, there are going to be students and teachers that connect with each other and there are going to be teachers and students that don’t connect. However, that doesn’t mean a student should feel that their education or they themselves are less significant than any other student. A student is at school to get an education, and that is what they should receive. Some may argue that they’re just trying to have a connection with their teacher or student. However, there comes a time where other students may see the friendship as just that; a friendship. A teacher should be moreso focused on the education of their students. They should not be focused on how Brad told Eric that Becky told him she was rude to her that one day last week.

In an effort to solve the confusion and friendships between teachers and students, every teacher should reflect on their relationships with their students. On the other hand, students should make sure that the relationship they’re trying to seek with a teacher is school appropriate and that the education for each party is always put first.
We, The Roar, believe that students and teachers should have friendly relationships with each other. However, both parties should understand that education is what is most important. Within the education system, it is important to have a sense of professionalism. Both parties – teachers and students – have a job to fulfill. It’s important for both parties to focus on a student’s education before anything else. High school is only a short four years, and those four years can be some of the most difficult years in a person’s life. However, teachers are there to guide students and teach them — not to sit in the cafeteria to gossip about the frustrating things life can throw.