Cheer season ends with an unexpected twist

Lauren Paquet, Editor

The cheering season ended with many unexpected events as injuries, drama, and tears engulfed the girls’ experience at States.

From constantly changing their routines to challenges between teammates, this season definitely tested the cheering team’s limits. For junior Lydia Gordon, she spent most of the season on the sidelines due to an injury, but she cheered on her teammates as best as she could.

“I really tried to encourage them and keep a positive attitude,” said Gordon. “I think if you truly have a good attitude towards a bad situation you can really get the best outcome.”

Although a few snow storms occurred the week before States, Gordon feels that the girls prepared as much as they could.

“ I think that even though we aren’t going to New England’s, this team put everything they could into the routine” said Gordon. “With all the injuries and setbacks this season, I am so proud of the way everyone performed.”

The team’s performance earned them a ninth place spot, respectively. For junior Chanelle Chretien, just getting through the performance was an accomplishment after spraining her ankle the night before at the team’s final practice.

“I performed with a sprained ankle and it wasn’t the easiest thing I’ve done,” said Chretien. “It was pretty painful and kept me from tumbling and jumping. Kate [McCarter] wrapped it very tight before I left for States so that it would take away some of the pain.”

It was a hard season but we still competed and gave it our all,” said Chretien. “The week before States, we took four girls off the mat, so that was a huge change we had to make before competing, but it was what was best for our team.”

— Chanelle Chretien

Cheerleaders Chanelle Chretien and Lydia Gordon pictured with junior Julia Pearl

Not only was Chretien’s injury a major setback, but also the changes to their routines made just days before States.

“It was a hard season but we still competed and gave it our all,” said Chretien. “The week before States, we took four girls off the mat, so that was a huge change we had to make before competing, but it was what was best for our team.”

Senior captain Leah Perron admits that the team could’ve done better, and she regrets that they didn’t do their best.

“[This] definitely was not our best season,” said Perron. “I think we all regret not pushing 100%.”

Although it wasn’t the performance or season Perron had hoped for, she is still proud of her teammates no matter what.

“We did have our ups and downs, but it was a great season,” said Perron. “I was beyond happy on how we did this year.”

Although Chretien didn’t perform as well as she could because of her injury, her team and coach understood and supported her.

“I’m upset that I didn’t hit all my stunts, but it’s a group effort, so I can’t be mad at myself,” said Chretien. “Also, I can’t be upset because I had a sprained ankle. I did the best I could knowing that I was hurt, and my coach understood that.”

As far as next season goes, Gordon is excited to be back performing with her team, and looks forward to making it an even stronger and more successful year.
“My major goal is to be back on the floor personally, but I want our team to have a great bond [next season],” said Gordon. “We didn’t really have that this year, which I think is why we didn’t do as well as we could have. I would really love to have a team that really just gets along and has fun while working hard.”