Questions about new schedule continue

Will eight finals be as stressful as it seems? Will the schedule interfere with certain classes and level? Students continue to ask these questions

Freshmen receive their schedules for the first time and tour the school with their mentor at Freshman Orientation.

It’s nothing new to students that when returning in the fall, class schedules are much different than previous years. Students have the opportunity to take more classes. But, with eight finals to prepare for create an even more stressful end of the year?

Everyone by now has their schedules down pact. It’s four classes half the year and four finals. Then for the rest of the year it’s a different four classes, with finals at the end. Unless participating in AP courses, this is how most students schedules are set up. Although many students prefer this layout and wish it would stay, others embrace the change.

Junior Katie Letellier believes that eight classes to balance at once seems extremely overwhelming compared to the usual four.

“A lot of people like being over with a class halfway through the year,” said Letellier. “Now you have all of your classes all year.”

But with an every-other day schedule, Letellier was still able to find a pro that she considers helpful in comparison to the old schedule.

“It gives you more time knowing you don’t have that class the next day,” said Letellier. “I know I’ll be able to handle it.”

Along with Letellier, Senior Stephanie Soucy believes that the new schedule will have many cons relating to classes and managing time.

“I feel like kids are going to quickly lose track of what they need to have done with the amount of classes,” said Soucy. “I know a lot of them struggle with the work they have to do now with only four classes.”

Soucy was sure to mention that although she is an organized person, this change in schedule is something even an organized person needs to quickly adapt to.

“Considering I’m a senior, I am so used to the other schedule that I don’t know if I would do so well, or even like it,” Soucy said.

Among the unsure students is one with a strong opinion about the new schedule. Junior Reed Gordon believes that there doesn’t seem to be enough space for all the classes he wants to take.

“Everything seems cramped, I want to take these computer classes but I just can’t”, said Gordon. “You have to take the whole first class before you take the second level of that same class, and with the every other day schedule it just doesn’t work.”

Although Gordon realizes that many other schools have this type of schedule, he still seems unimpressed and a bit worried about the unexpected and hopes this will only benefit.

“I like the concept that guidance had in mind, to make us more in unison with other schools,” said Gordon. “But I just think this type of schedule is going to overload students.”

Gordon ended by saying that not everything in the class is going to get covered that needs to, and he knows that. But then again, the schedule is something new and possibly helpful for some students, so he isn’t going to be completely against it just yet.