BHS hosts Model UN Conference

BHS students felt right at home this past weekend at a Model UN conference held at Biddeford High School.

Lauren Paquet, Editor

Model UN hosted their conference at Biddeford High School last weekend, and although BHS students in the club represented countries far from here, they felt at home.
Model UN is a club for students interested in international politics and debating about international issues. Sophomore Sam Mills said that the conferences require a lot of research beforehand on your designated country.
“One would do research beforehand of their country, so they can represent well,” said Mills. “When they get into the conference, they should find the countries they’d work with, and depending on their level of experience, either write a working paper or help others pass theirs.”
At this meeting, Mills represented Belarus, a country in Eastern Europe, and he had many responsibilities given the topic of the meeting.
“The topic of the General Assembly was Russian aggression in Eastern Europe,” said Mills. “As Belarus, I represented the exact target of that aggression. So, it gave me a lot to do and offered a great opportunity to practice.”
Senior Jordan Cook first became interested in Model UN because the club entailed things he is very passionate about.
“I like most the fact that it involves the three things I love most: countries, politics, and debating,” said Cook. “It consists of defending views that come from the perspectives of different nations and a lot of research and preparation in advance. Also, it has a lot of teamwork in it.”
Sophomore Madison Arnold has always loved history and science, so she joined Model UN this year after being encouraged by teachers and friends.
“I heard about it [Model UN] through a few friends, and Mr. Minzy encouraged me to join, especially because learning about political science and history is a passion of mine,” Arnold said.
At this conference, Cook represented Germany, and got to do plenty of what he loves most–debating.
“Generally, it is a meeting in a room with two people directing what happens,” said Cook. “You sit in order by your country, and usually the meetings are debating and trying to get people to side with your perspective. It can also be people being in groups planning bills or directives.”
The delegates form “blocs” based on their country’s political view on the topic and then create working papers with solutions to the topic. The committee then votes on what they think is the best solution. Arnold said that a few of her BHS classmates received praise at the end of the conference.
“Delegates can get awards based on how influential they were in the conference and if their contributions were insightful,” said Arnold. “At the Clark conference, Jacob Bilsky got ‘Best Delegate,’ and Nick Scavuzzo got an honorable mention.”
Mills enjoyed the fact that the conference was held at his own high school, and he feels that it definitely gave him an advantage.
“It’s a lot like a home game or home meet,” said Mills. “You have confidence and knowledge of your surroundings, and it’s easy to hone that confidence into taking charge of a room and working paper.”
Arnold enjoys the fact that the club makes her feel more involved and in touch with what’s happening in the world.
“I would say that [I like MUN most] when you get a country that has a really passionate opinion or a larger, more relevant country to represent at a conference,” said Arnold. “It’s most fun when you can be involved in the debate. Plus, being involved makes me feel knowledgeable about the world around me.”