Changes needed for Netflix

Students of BHS have strong opinions on the streaming service Netflix

Eliza+Gilliam
Eliza Gilliam

Eliza Gilliam

Eliza Gilliam

Julia Murray, Staff Writer

Netflix promises to make new changes to the system in 2017 for people to enjoy their experiences better while watching their favorite shows, but seem to keep slacking in the quality of the changes.

Netflix has been continuously updating their system by adding new movies for many kids, especially teenagers, to enjoy. They recently produced a new show called, “Stranger Things,” and it became an instant hit, but they have fallen flat on providing the “oldies” that kids have come to love the most, such as the show “Zoey 101.” Netflix claims to be getting rid of outdated movies, and replacing them with better ones, but Junior Eliza Gilliam isn’t taking a liking to the new shows that they have put on.

“They need [shows] like ‘iCarly,’ ‘Hannah Montana,’ and ‘Drake and Josh’ [because] those are the real shows,” said Gilliam. “I just think that they need to bring back the oldies.”

Brook Davis

If you grew up in the past decade, you probably watched early 2000’s Disney tv episodes. You will most likely recall shows like, “The Suite Life of Zack and Cote” or “Hannah Montana.” Netflix had once put these beloved shows in their list for people to watch but have got rid of them over time. Senior Calea Roy feels as though there is not enough diversity anymore to Netflix than there used to be with keeping the good “oldies” while still making new series to enjoy.

“With Netflix I feel like there is not enough,” said Roy. “I know people like reality tv shows [now] but it’s more along the lines of newer shows and are not giving enough attention to older shows that a lot of kids grew up with that are adults today.”

For people who are adults today, it’s especially hard to find actual shows that they can enjoy. Social Studies teacher Jon Edstrom wishes that Netflix had more first-run movies that people actually want to see.

“I get so bored of flicking through, looking for movies and [seeing] movies I’ve never heard of before,” said Edstrom. “When they first started years ago, before it was online, you had to send out in the mail for them, and it was always top of the line movies, [and] brand new movies. They’ve shifted to crappy tv shows, Netflix series or B movies.”

Still, they have been keeping a variety of comedies and drama series to watch that came out more recently. “The Office” was a comedy series that is still on Netflix currently. Gilliam became obsessed with the series when it was recommended to watch on her profile one day while scrolling through movies and tv shows to watch late at night.

“When I had back surgery last summer, my medication screwed up my sleeping schedule, and I was up in the middle of the night, and of course no one was up to hang out with me,” said Gilliam. “I would watch The Office and they became a family to me and when I ended the show I was depressed. I’m not even joking.”

The downside is that unlike Hulu, which is very similar to Netflix if not completely, you have to wait months for the next season to be added on unless you watch it on the regular tv. Hulu is different because the moment it airs on tv, it is then added onto their seasons and is available for weeks to watch until the time runs up. It’s then added to the regular season after a period of several months. Junior Brook Davis loves to watch the show “Shameless” but hates the wait of season 7 because she already missed it on the regular tv.

“I wish they added seasons earlier [because] season 7 [is] out on different things like ‘Showtime,’ said Davis. “I wish they would update it more sooner.”
Netflix had still shown to be the fan favorite for tv lovers in Biddeford High School. Students believe Netflix could definitely have more improvements. Bottom line, is that recent tv series need to come out faster, and the throwbacks series need to be reunited back onto Netflix.