Involvement crisis

Today, there are many students throughout schools across the country that aren't involved in any type of school sponsored activity or sport. This has proven to be detrimental to social skills and learning in students

Mitchell Farley, Staff Writer

There is an epidemic plaguing schools all around us at this very moment called uninvolvement.

Waking up in the morning, arriving to school, and heading home to remain idle after the bell rings is the norm for a sizable number of students.

We, The Roar, believe that students should not simply be passing the days by with a dull and drab routine, but rather getting involved in clubs, activities and sports that their school and community has to offer.

Participating in sports, clubs and activities within one’s school or community has proven to be very beneficial to students. Meeting new people and making new friends is a large aspect of these extracurricular activities. By joining clubs or activities you are able to meet people who share similar interests and ideas as your own. Through clubs and activities one can make memories that will last a lifetime. Getting involved with anything ranging from theatre, sports, musical clubs, or boy scouts can be considered learning as well. Life lessons, social skills, and knowledge can all be taken away from these activities.

Extracurricular activities also keeps students out of harm’s way. Approximately 29% of all juvenile offenses occur after school from the hours of 2 pm to 8 PM according to the Department of Justice. Getting students involved in clubs and activities keeps them out of harm’s way and the possible exposure to dangerous substances or behavior.

Some may say that extracurricular activities take up too much time or are too costly. However, being engaged in an activity that lasts 1-3 hours maximum engages students in an activity that can prove to be beneficial and promote growth of knowledge and social skills. Getting involved in clubs and one’s community also helps build experience and a solid resume that will prove beneficial in secondary education/work after high school.  

Spreading the word about clubs/activities and what they entail would certainly spark interest in people to join. Having a member of a club or activity speak to others, especially younger kids, will help keep involvement and interest in clubs and activities years to come. Having open clubs/activities that people can spectate and try out would also prove to be beneficiary to the recruitment of the clubs with a no-strings-attached option to see if they like the club or not.

Getting students to join clubs and activities keeps them out of trouble and is beneficial to overall growth as a person. It is important that clubs/activities are well advertised and have a strong number of students involved.

Clubs and activities are a focal point of creating a better tomorrow.