Racial harassment occurs at two Boston Red Sox games

Lauren Paquet, Editor

On Monday, May 1, a Boston Red Sox fan yelled racial slurs and threw a bag of peanuts at Baltimore Orioles center fielder Adam Jones and security ejected him immediately from the game.

This incident occurred just before another racial incident on Tuesday night, May 2, when a fan made a racial comment about a Kenyan woman who had sung the national anthem. The Red Sox banned that fan from the park for life, but the investigation about the racial slurs directed toward Adam Jones are still ongoing.

We, The Roar, believe that attacking someone for their race is completely unacceptable. Race shouldn’t even be an issue after everything this country has gone through to fight for civil rights. Although the Red Sox did ban the fan who yelled racial slurs at the Kenyan woman, the investigation for Adam Jones’ oppressor is still ongoing. We believe that this action was just as serious, and that fan should also be banned from the park for life and face serious consequences.

For Adam Jones, this is not the first time he has been the target of racial harassment. In 2013, one fan recollects hearing racial slurs being yelled at Jones, according to the Boston Herald, but he didn’t report it. Now, the fan, Pat Bowlby, wishes he had said something four years ago. We believe that this sort of racial taunting is unnecessary and out-of-line. Calvin Hennick and his son reported a fan who yelled racial slurs against a Kenyan woman who had sung the national anthem, and we believe it was right for the park to ban this fan for life. This sort of action should be taken with any racial harassment, especially for Adam Jones who has been harassed about his race a number of times at Fenway Park.

In an article published by Sports Illustrated, the Red Sox released the following statement: “No player should have an object thrown at him on the playing field, nor be subjected to any kind of racism at Fenway Park,” the team statement read. “The Red Sox have zero tolerance for such inexcusable behavior, and our entire organization and our fans are sickened by the conduct of an ignorant few. Such conduct should be reported immediately to Red Sox security, and any spectator behaving in this manner forfeits his/her right to remain in the ballpark, and may be subject to further action.” We believe that it is right for the organization to be doing everything they can to make this situation just.

Some might say that a lifetime ban from Fenway is too severe of a punishment. However, this kind of behavior is unacceptable, and anyone who acts like this needs to look at themselves and figure out why they feel the need to harass people based on race. To solve this issue, we think that racist beliefs need to be addressed. There are people out there who still have a problem with the color of people’s skin, and this is a global issue that needs to be taken care of. All we can do to solve this is try our best as a society to be accepting of everyone from all backgrounds and look past the ignorance that may have been taught to us or accepted in previous generations.
To reiterate, The Red Sox organization took action against the fan who made comments against the Kenyan singer, and the investigation about the fan who harassed Adam Jones is still ongoing. We believe that anyone who still uses race as an insult against someone’s character should be penalized. As a society, we need to really think about how we treat others and educate our youth about the importance of acceptance.