Snapchat Streaks

Sometimes people can take social media to the next level.

Julia Murray, Staff Writer

Social media plays a very important role in the social status of teenagers and contributes to the acceptance of others; but sometimes people take social media to the next level especially with Snapchat Streaks.

Snapchat has become one of the most popularly used apps. Other media sites like Facebook and Instagram have now copied the concept of posting “stories,” which are 10 second videos of whatever you’re currently doing during the day. Snapchat also has other fun effects. One of the most popular things to do is create Snap-Streaks with your friends. Senior Bailey Heffernan explains how she likes the concept of continuing to “snapping” her friends every day for an extended period of time.

“When you Snapchat someone everyday it builds up and gives you a number and it keeps growing,” said Heffernan. “You get excited about it because it’ll get so long.”

Heffernan has been Snapchatting one of her best friends consistently since her junior year in high school. They take their streak very seriously and are wondering how long they can make it last.

“We’ve [Heffernan and her friend] had a Snapchat Streak since her freshman year, and it’s at 472 days right now,” said Heffernan. “We broke it once, and had to call the company and message them to put it back, so we didn’t have to start it all over.”

Heffernan tries to keep up and Snapchat everybody, but when she gets busy, complications start to come up with her friends. If she doesn’t continue to Snapchat them, and accidentally breaks their streaks, her friends get angry at her.

“I broke one with [my friend] Sarah, and she was really mad,” said Heffernan. “It was only 40 days [long], but then you have to start all over.”

Junior, Patience Ottaviano has the same problems with her friends. If she doesn’t get to Snapchat them, her friends think that she is mad at them.

“They would be mad at me or be like, ‘what’s wrong? Did I do something?’ to figure out why I did it,” Ottaviano said.

But still, Ottaviano admits that if one of her friends broke off a long streak with her, she’d be pretty upset.

“If I had a streak that’s like a year [long] and if a friend broke that, I would be really mad,” said Ottaviano. “But people who are [at] 20 days, I wouldn’t get mad.

Another downside of having the ability to keep streaks, is that some people want to continue to Snapchat everyday, even if the other person wants to stop and becomes repetitive. Ottaviano finds that they’re fun with friends, but when people she doesn’t know try and talk to her everyday she gets irritated.

“I think they’re nice with your friends but otherwise they can be annoying,” said Ottaviano. “People will try and make them a thing. They’ll say, ‘can we start a streak?’ but you don’t even know them that well and it’s weird.”  

Senior Patrick Pearl also likes to snapchat his friends but hates when others try and force it upon him.

“My opinion is that it shouldn’t be forced,” said Pearl. “If it happens naturally it’s cool but some people will just Snapchat you and say, ‘streak?’ and I won’t respond because I think that’s dumb”

Overall, Snapchat Streaks are important to people. Although some are unsure why it is so important, Ottaviano believes that it’s because it shows the relationship between you and the person you’re Snapchatting.

“I think in your mind it’s kind of something that you want,” said Ottaviano. “If you have a streak with someone, that shows you have a relationship with them, and that you guys are able to talk everyday. If you break that, it seems that you don’t [want] to talk to them like that.”

On the other hand, Heffernan just believes that it’s like a game, and it’s fun to see how high up she can keep the streaks going.

“I think they’re fun,” said Heffernan. “It’s scary when you almost lose them because it puts a little timer, and you won’t have that long left.”

With all social media, there comes a point when teenagers just don’t want to play the game anymore. They’ll end up switching to new ways of communication and new ways to socialize.