Paying for college

It seems that everything today comes at a high cost. College, being one of those things, isn’t something every student plans to attend after high school. What most colleges are starting to realize is how expensive it actually is for students and parents in the long run.

College can either be beneficial or a waste of time, depending on how much effort a student is willing to put into their work and studying, considering it is their education that they are paying for. College is the beginning of the road in order to make way for a future career path and to some extent its a guide into the “real world”. This brings up an important point,  is college worth the cost and how will one begin paying for it?

We The Roar believe that there are plenty of ways to pay for college and it can only help a student, especially those who are looking for work in a certain field.

Whether a student is looking into the field of medicine or education, college gives the capability to provide a student with specialized skills that they might not have received in a similar high school program. Although more expensive, students have the capability in high school to apply for a ton of scholarships that have to do with their career interest. This could lower the price dramatically, just by receiving numerous scholarships.

Likewise, another option when trying to cut the cost of college is choosing a school that is close to home. Living at home allows students to be able to go to college but not have to pay to live on campus. In a sense it also lowers the amount that a student will need to spend on food because a meal plan will not be needed if a student commutes back and forth from home. In a way, the student would only be paying for his or her tuition, and books.

However, college is nothing but an expensive hope for some. Those who struggle in school may have less of a chance of receiving scholarships, loans and grants. Students who have parents that also went to college and have steady jobs may find it harder to get a good financial aid packages because of the stability at home.

Although college deems to be expensive, the costs can be sufficiently cut by simply getting good grades throughout high school, applying oneself as a student, and choosing an appropriate school that fits the student’s financial situation in order to stay away from a large amount of debt afterwards.

Whatever situation a student is in, it is important to take into consideration what colleges fit their, and their parents’, budget. Students need to come to a healthy financial decision on where to attend college, because it is achievable and there are ways to pay without spending a ridiculous amount of money.