Senior privilege problems

Some seniors feel that shorter lunches impede on their privileges.

Megan Friel, Feature Editor

Leaving for lunch, a senior privilege that in the past proved a relaxing break from school for students, has now turned into a time-battling hassle.

While school lunches used to be 45 minutes, changes to advisory and CLB have forced lunches to be cut to 30 minutes. Unless students have a block three study hall, which allows seniors and juniors to spend that block eating,  students feel as if they don’t have enough time to eat. With lunch being so brief, senior privileges are less of a “privilege.” Students like senior Kayla Fournier, feel as if it’s hard to balance eating and making it to class on time.

“It makes it harder because you have less time to go somewhere with your friends, and that’s kind of the exciting part about senior year, is getting to go out during lunch,” Fournier said.

Senior Jordan Bilodeau says that in his freshmen and sophomore year, with 45 minutes to lunch instead of 30, he had plenty of time to eat, but this year, he feels as if “there are no advantages to his senior privileges.”

“I had time to study freshmen year…I could eat without rushing and shoving food down my face,” Bilodeau said.

Other students, like senior, Mallory Mourmouras, don’t feel so involved in the issue.

“I think I do find myself going out to lunch more [than staying in],” Mourmouras said. “I wouldn’t say it’s a big issue.”

Along with new changes to the time that students have to leave for lunch, junior privileges arose this year as well. If juniors have a first or a fourth block study hall, they are allowed to leave early/come in late as long as they have all A’s B’s and C’s, “good behavior,” and good attendance, as well as being able to have more time for lunch, if provided with a block 3 study hall.

“Kids wait three years to have a privilege, and why not reward kids based on academics and behavior…it was just about giving a reward to those kids and an incentive to other kids who are trying to get it,” principal Jeremie Sirois said.

As for seniors, some have even tried bringing the issue to their class advisor, Mrs. Sheltra. She’s concerned that, especially when the colder winter weather starts up, students will have to be more careful and will be forced to drive slower, making their time for lunch even shorter. Although Sheltra has come up with a solution in order for kids to fix the problem at hand:

“I suggested to a few kids that they could get a proposal together to speak to administration about maybe after SAT tests are done, and for students that meet a certain criteria, that maybe for third or fourth quarter that they could be excused from CLB so they could have a bit longer time,” said Sheltra.

As for Sirois, leaving for CLB and advisory “defeats the purpose.”

“Our seniors and juniors are such a big part of advisory, especially for those who are mentors,” said Sirois. “Also, there’s a lot of business that takes place in advisory and CLB, there’s a hard press to find anybody that can’t benefit from it one way or another, whether it’s enrichment, remediation, or being able to get a little reading done.”

With new proposals at hand, it’s up to the students to make a change in order to take full advantage of their senior privilege.