Musically dependent

Students express their love and obsession with listening to, talking about, and making music.

Cameron Petit, Editor in Chief

Music makes its way into every car, every party, and every mind that can’t forget its catchy lyrics and beats. Whether it’s blaring until your ears bleed or it’s so soft you can barely hear it, music seems to be everywhere.

To many teenagers, though, music is much more than just background noise. It’s an expression, a passion, and a way to fill the silence.

Although music means a lot more to teenagers than most would think, many teens do not have a specific genre that they call their one love. Rather, many are like senior Emily Belanger, who listens to all sorts of music.

“I listen to a little bit of everything, [but] my favorites are country, pop, and Christian pop,” said Belanger. “I listen to different things based on my mood at the moment.”

Junior Thomas Green has very different taste and says that the reason he likes the music that he does is because it is meaningful to him.

“I listen too many genres of music, but hip hop/rap is probably my most listened genre of music,” said Green. “I really like the instrumentals used in the songs and how lyrical some artists are.”

Both Green and Belanger believe that music can change their mood, Green explaining that he “just loves how music can change and control your mood or fit the situation you are in.” Belanger also recognizes that music can control her mood.

“Music does different things for me…Christian pop usually calms me down and regular pop pumps me up for things,” said Belanger. “I also usually listen to film scores when doing homework to help me concentrate.”

Senior Cassidy Petit uses similar tactics when doing homework, listening to music that is made primarily of instrumentals.

“When I study, I listen to classical music because it’s relaxing and not distracting,” Petit said.

Science has proven this theory, as many tests have shown an increase in brain activity and focus when people listen to their favorite music. This is why Petit listens to it “at school in study hall, or if the teacher gives us independent work and I need to stay focused.” Belanger has similar habits of listening to music

“I listen to music almost constantly…during my independent study and during yearbook we always have music playing,” said Belanger. “And then obviously there is music during band and chorus.”

This adds a whole new level of musical connection to Belanger, because not only does she listen to it frequently, but she performs it in band and chorus groups, making music really important to her; so important, that she believes that her “life would be so different without it.”

“I love being able to make music happen both through my flute and singing,” said Belanger. “It defines me from ballet, band, and chorus, to social gatherings with my friends and family.”

Green too listens to music all the time, so much that he says that “there’s no way I would be able to live without music.”

“I listen to music at any possible chance that I can,” said Green. “I rarely ever listen to the radio…[but] I listen to music off of my phone and it’s usually being streamed off of soundcloud.”

Not only is it a part of their lives, but it’s integrated in our culture. Senior Rodric Jones recognizes this, saying that it comes up in conversation all the time.

“It is a great subject for conversation [and] everybody has something they like and it is fun to share,” said Jones. “Music shows a person’s character to strangers, making it easier to get along.”]

Additionally, Petit sees music as a cultural necessity for the current generation.

“This is the generation of constantly being busy and multitasking and music is a huge part of that culture,” said Petit. “It always adds a second focus to a monotonous task…you listen to music while you drive, while you study, while you clean, while you cook.”

Further, Petit feels that music is not only a huge part of teenage culture, but it is representative of a person’s true character.

“A lot can be learned about people from what kind of music they listen to when they’re by themselves.”