It’s that time of year again

Students are beginning to fill out applications for the upcoming months of summer.

Hailey Woodman, Staff Writer

As the countdown to suntans, beach trips, and freedom begins, students are also marking their calendars for the day they must go out and find a place to work for the summer.

In high school, most students find themselves job hunting around the end of February, whether it be to earn a little extra spending money for the summer or to save up for a desired interest.

According to U.S. News and World Report, the number of jobs held by teens between 14 and 18 years old shrank by 33 percent between 2001 and 2014.

Sophomore Ben Othmer searches for a job in the beginning of spring to guarantee he can have an advantage wherever he decides to apply.

“I typically start picking up applications around March so I can make sure I’ll actually have a place to work since there are few spots open anywhere,” Othmer said.

The Challenger, Gray, & Christmas study noted that more than five times as many teens were hired in March last year than were hired during the month of March over the previous 10 years.

Sophomore Abby Laverriere feels as if she applied for her job at Nonesuch Books at just the right time, and doesn’t really worry much about competition.

“I applied last summer and I think if I applied now they might not need me,” said Laverriere. “Customers are just out and about more in the summer so stores might want extra workers.”

Junior Katrina Hussey spends the months leading up to spring job searching to help pay off her fees that she will accumulate within her years as a college student.

“When I look for jobs, I usually start in March by looking at places that pay a little extra so I can continue to save for college,” Hussey said.

Some students are finding themselves only having time to work during the summer. Othmer has his own reasoning as to why he puts in the allowed 40 hours a week, according to teen labor laws.

“I work during the summer mostly because I don’t want work and school to clash with each other,” said Othmer. “I do sports during the school year so I don’t really have the free time to work.”

A study from Loughborough University in England concluded that allowing workers to choose the slot of hours they want to work in is good for their well-being.

Laverriere doesn’t have to worry about school and work clashing because she only works Saturday shifts.

“Since it’s only Saturday afternoons, I’m able to work during school too and my boss is really helpful so if I have a track meet all day on a Saturday, it’s flexible,” Laverriere said.

With finding the perfect job being so important to these teens, there is no slacking off as to when they should pick up an application, fill it out, and hope for the best.