How to: Become involved in your school

Megan Friel, Feature Editor

I’m your typical American high schooler, along with being the Vice President of my class, editor of the newspaper and a (reasonably) up-kept student, it’s no wonder that I’ve decided to do my column on how to become involved in your school. Although it may seem daunting, one of the most efficient ways to survive high school is simply to dive right in. With the help of my column, becoming involved in your school will seem easier in no time.

Step 1: Talk to your teachers. Joining a club is one way to be involved, but without knowing which one to join, there may be some hesitation. Your teachers are here to help. For most teachers, their jobs during school aren’t their only ones. Many stay afterwards as advisors for newspaper, yearbook, art club, etc., and they’ll be more than happy to tell you all about it. From anime to yearbook, the clubs and classes that help you to indulge in your school are what will include you the most. Finding what I love and being able to take part in it is what’s made high school for me such an incredible experience. While some extra effort may be added on, the work is worth the result. By finding the club that you love, you’ll be able to spend your high school in these clubs with people that love it, too.

Step 2: Sports are another step in the right direction. By joining a sports team, you’ll be able to meet new people and bond with your teammates. Not only is this a way to make new friends, but it helps to get you involved in the community, as well as your school. You’ll meet people such as coaches and parents that are involved in your school. With sports, meeting new people and really enjoying the sport is what’s most important. Spending the few hours after school exercising and bonding with your team is worth the time.

Step 3: Try new things. If your friends are joining cooking class, try it out for a change. Although you may not be the next Martha Stuart, you won’t know until you try. The best benefit to being in high school is that this is the time to experiment. You have four years of testing the waters, discovering yourself and finding your path before going to college, finding a job and settling down. This is your time to cross the lines, to try new things, and to take as much advantage of these opportunities as possible while you still can. Don’t be afraid to change your idea of things and step beyond your boundaries, because this is exactly the kind of thing that leads you to where you are today. By stepping out of your comfort zone and doing something you may have never done before, you’ll be meeting new people and finding new hobbies. Along with this, you’ll make connections to your school you would have never thought possible.

That’s all I have for now, I have to get back to taking photos, planning homecoming, and writing my article. Until next time!