Go Set A Watchman

Harper Lee to release a sequel to To Kill A Mockingbird

Courtesy of Creative Commons

Hailey Woodman, Staff Writer

Well-known author Harper Lee is deciding to give consent to publish the book that sparked To Kill A Mockingbird, making Mockingbird lovers unable to wait for the release on July 14th.

Harper Lee wrote her book Go Set a Watchman about a grown-up Scout Finch returning home to visit her father, Atticus, before writing the older story that was published in 1960 about young Scout Finch in Maycomb County, Alabama.

Substitute teacher Pam Gates is excited about the release of Lee’s book and is already making predictions about what Lee will incorporate into her book.

“I’m pretty excited about it, I would love to see Boo Radley actually coming out of his house and being a little more appreciated by his community,” said Gates. “I would love to see Atticus get married.”

English teacher Shari Brinkman-Young isn’t making any assumptions about the novel because she doesn’t know too much about it.

”I don’t think we know because we haven’t read it yet, but from what I’ve read is some of the characters are the same,” said Brinkman-Young. “I was particularly fascinated because I’ve taught Mockingbird for ten years here [BHS], I’m just curious about reading it so I don’t have any preconceived expectations.”

For freshman Adrianna Jordan, a second book seems as if it will answer all of the questions she had after finishing, and loving, Lee’s first book in Heather Tremblay’s Honors English class this year.

“I feel like the first book didn’t have a good ending so a second book would be great,” Jordan said.

With Lee’s age of 88, readers are questioning if she is mentally capable of giving her consent to publishers to release Watchman. Gates has her own opinions as to what Lee should do with her book.

“No, 80’s doesn’t mean stupid. I think she is not too old to give her consent [to publish], the question is, ‘is she mentally capable?’” said Gates.

According to Tom Walker with The Independent Newspaper of Los Angeles, Lee is currently living in an assisted-living center in Monroeville, Alabama where she is from. She has been living there since 2007 after she suffered from a stroke and became hard of hearing and partially blind. Brinkman-Young feels that if Lee is in the right mindset, she should be allowed to give her consent.

“No, age doesn’t have anything to do with whether you are able of giving your consent or not,” said Brinkman-Young. “I mean legally, it has nothing to do with age, but the mental capacity.”

In The Independent Newspaper it is mentioned that Lee wants to publish Go Set A Watchman since it was the first book she wrote and she feels as if she’s waited long enough.

“In one interview I read, she [Lee] stated that The Watchman was actually her first draft and her editor/publisher suggested that it would be pretty cool if she kept that adult returning…,” Brinkman-Young said.

While Lee left readers in suspense for years, the debut of Go Set A Watchman should add to the popularity of her writing by following Scout once more and taking a further look at how the trials have affected her life.