The First Steps

Hailey Woodman, Staff Writer

Trying new things is an essential part of finding out who you are as a person and what you like or dislike. Lately, I’ve noticed that I hold myself back from the unknown, so each month I have set a goal for myself to try new things and write my opinion on it. For me, to willingly agree to try something new every month is actually quite scary in my eyes, but I’m going to do it for your entertainment. This month,I’ve chosen a pumpkin muffin from Dunkin Donuts, fitting since Fall is here,and most teens associate Fall with the infamous pumpkin flavor.

This past Friday, I joined the pumpkin train and ordered my first ever pumpkin muffin. Needless to say, since trying it for the first time just last week, I have gotten six more. In that first moment of holding the paper bag, I was nervous that I might not like it because I don’t usually like things the first time around. However, when I took the plunge and ripped off my first piece, I found myself unable to look back. It was how it looked that intrigued me. It was almost a greenish and had dried cream cheese drizzled on top, which didn’t make sense to me. Looking past the imperfections of the cream cheese (or at least that’s what I think it was), I actually really enjoyed the muffin and all that it brought to my taste buds.  It was the blend of various spices and pumpkin that made my mouth want to do the tango, the bits of sugar sprinkled on top that made my heart happy. In my eyes, this was the perfect muffin.

If I had to eat a pumpkin muffin everyday for breakfast for the rest of my life, I would in a heartbeat. Coming in at $1.69, the pumpkin muffin is well worth the cost. Most muffins are burnt and crunchy towards the bottom, this wasn’t one of those muffins. The pumpkin muffin was amazing until the very last bite. There weren’t any burnt bits or crunchy parts. It was just pure perfection all the way through. This muffin was like Zac Efron singing “Bet On It” running happily through the golf course in High School Musical 2 on my taste buds. This muffin is best served when it is warmed up slightly, like a nice fire, or a warm hug from Olaf. I highly suggest you come up with $1.69 and head to your local Dunkin Donuts to take a ride on the pumpkin train. I mean if I could do it, anyone can.This muffin made me feel like I was unstoppable, I might try skydiving next week.