Hall of honor ceremony brings alumni back to BHS

Former student athletes of Biddeford High School are recognized for their outstanding performance while attending here at BHS.

Megan Friel, Editor in Chief

Many student athletes here at Biddeford High School never forget the numerous games, practices, and teammates had throughout their seasons. These former athletes continued to remember these memories as they returned to their home gym.

Thursday, February 4th, the Biddeford High School athletics department hosted the third annual “Hall of Honor” ceremony in the Tiger Gym. This ceremony established an “avenue to pay tribute and honor outstanding Student Athletes, Coaches, and Contributors for their achievements and/or contributions to Biddeford Athletics,” according to the athletic department. Athletic director Dennis Walton explains the process.

“There are 16 inductees,” said Walton. “The process is someone needs to nominate you; there’s an application process. The committee gets together and takes all of the applications, and talks about who meets this criteria and who would be worthy.”

One inductee, Gary Dube, class of 1984, was recognized for his football, and baseball career at Biddeford High School. In 2010, Dube was inducted into the Maine Baseball Hall of Fame.

This is the third year they’ve had it, and I was proud to be in that top 50 class,” said Dube. “It’s a wonderful honor. I’ve been proud of being a Biddeford Tiger my whole life and it’s nice to be recognizeScreen shot 2016-02-25 at 12.19.57 PMd with some other fantastic athletes.”

— Gary Dube

The ceremony consists of recognizing Biddeford graduates who graduated up to five consecutive years ago. With the application process comes careful choice between gender and age.

“We try to have a diversity of males and females,” said Walton. “We try to have a diversity of eras, meaning some inductees were graduate just in 2010, and we’ve got inductees back to 1925, so we really want to recognize the fact that both male and female former students athletes from many different eras, and not just student athletes but contributors to Biddeford athletics, are represented.”

Students, parents, and staff alike went to the ceremony and witnessed each alumn accept their award. Junior Caleb Ball watched the ceremony from the sidelines before his basketball game.

“I thought it was cool seeing what a lot of those people have done,” said Ball. “Not even knowing them, it was still exciting.”

Physical education teacher Madeleine Goulet coached Kerry Foss-Root, another inductee, in field hockey during her years at BHS alongside her sister. Goulet coached from their freshman year to their senior year.

“They were fantastic athletes, just genuinely good people,” said Goulet. “They liked to have fun, they loved to laugh, very coachable, very competitive. They didn’t like to lose. They were responsible for helping us get the only state championship at Biddeford High School.”

Kerry continued on after high school to coach field hockey at Scarborough High School.

“Kerry has gone on to be a successful field hockey coach at Scarborough High School and she’s won many more titles than I have,” said Goulet. “And to this day, she still thanks me. Before she stepped onto the floor, she gave me a hug. It just feels good to have made an impact on some people’s lives.

Mayor Alan Casavant also attended the event, as well as principal Jeremie Sirois, honoring the pride and unity shown in both Biddeford’s athletics and community.

“It’s always nice to have alumni back and to have them honored as some of the top athletes to ever walk through the school, or actually through the city,” Sirois said.

Many alumni were recognized for not only what they did at Biddeford High School, but also for what they did after graduation, such as careers in sports or playing for college teams.

“It’s important to see that it’s not all about sports,” said Ball. “It’s important to understand that these people are getting inducted not only for their success in sports, but their success in life.”

Biddeford’s pride and community were well represented through the event, as Casavant explains.

“It works at two levels. First you have the community pride, because we started doing this on a yearly basis, trying to teach the history of the athletics in the community, and the flip side of that is these individual players who earned that high level of achievement because, in every one of those cases, they always went beyond the level of the norm.”