The Monthly Five: February’s Picks

Lauren Paquet, Staff Writer

This month brought us some amazing music, and that made it extremely hard to choose only five songs. From Drake to Rihanna to Beyoncé (my mom), it proved to be a very entertaining month for the music industry. Kanye West also dropped his much awaited album this month, “The Life of Pablo,” but since he lied about the release date and his album isn’t even available on iTunes, none of his songs made my top five. Get it together, Kanye (especially if you want to run for president–you can’t start lying to us now).

So without further ado, here are my top five picks this month:

1. “Summer Sixteen” by Drake

Drake is back and better than ever. He holds nothing back in this ruthless track with his low blows at anyone and everyone–and even Kanye West’s swimming pool. This is only the beginning of the punches he will throw when his album “Summer Sixteen” drops this summer, and I couldn’t be more excited. He may have not been nominated for a Grammy or even attended the event this year, but next year my bets are on him.

1. “Woo” by Rihanna feat. Travis Scott

Ri Ri definitely served some salt in this revengeful track from her latest album “Anti.” I love the direction she took with this album, and this song definitely proves that no one does it like Rihanna. This is also the only track on the album with her rumored ex Travis Scott, which only adds more to the crazy ex-girlfriend vibe.

1. “I Hate U I Love U” by Gnash feat. Olivia O’Brien

I’ve had this song on repeat since the first time I heard it. It’s beautiful and simple harmony accompanied by a piano makes it pull at the heart strings. It features both traditional singing and a more sensitive rap style, which makes it both unique and melancholy.

1. “Formation” by Beyoncé

The Queen has slayed us all once again. After a hiatus from Instagram and all social media platforms, I feared that my girl had dropped off the face of the earth (I’m not a big fan or anything), but she was obviously just preparing for the slayage that went down when she dropped this track and performed it days later at the Superbowl. She adds more of a personal touch in the track, and I’m sure its catchiness will soon grace every radio station and top every chart. Her album is also dropping soon, but I’m sure she will do without notice and cause heart attacks across the globe.

1. “Party Favors” by Tinashe

I’ve never been a big fan of Tinashe, but this song is something I haven’t stopped listening to. I love the slow, sultry beat, and I think it has a different appeal than other songs by Tinashe. She definitely shows that she isn’t just a popstar with this hit.
Please leave any comments below about songs you’re loving this month! I love hearing about new music! See you next time!