Fix your stitch

Enhancing the shopping experience is quicker and easier than ever. With the click of a button, shoppers can receive new clothes every month with the help of a personal stylist.

Creative Commons

Michael Tenney, Staff Writer

Finding new ways to enhance a wardrobe can take a long time to accomplish. With all of the new outlets and trends that come and go, it’s challenging to find a niche and stick with it.

Getting an online personal stylist, from company’s such as “Stitch Fix,” “Bombfell” or “Trunk Club” allows the people of BHS to enhance their wardrobe without spending hours in the mall. Math Teacher Debra Dineen, a Stitch Fix user, appreciates the new way of shopping.

You basically tell the person the types of things you like,” said Dineen. “You give them information about yourself, and then she designs an outfit for you and sends them in the mail.”

Junior Abby Laverriere, also a BHS Stitch Fix user, also appreciates what the online stylist service provided her.

“You fill out this whole chart and all these questions and everything about your style,” said Laverriere. “You can schedule when it sends you a box. There are five things in each box you get. There are just different clothes, sweaters, jeans. You can basically choose.”

Using Stitch Fix for a few months now, Dineen found out about the company while at the gym.

“I was talking about how I love to shop,” said Dineen. “But, I hate to shop because it takes me three hours to find a shirt and a bottom. I just never know. I try to always get something that’s in style. Once I hit the store, the mass amount of stuff that’s in there–I get so confused. [So,] I signed up [for Stitch Fix] that day when I got home.”

When Dineen shops it’s a bit difficult for her to find clothes that match her style. Whether it’s a trendy piece or something more original to her wardrobe.

“I like to look polished but not polished,” said Dineen. “I like to look put together, but like I didn’t try hard doing it. I don’t like being overdone, I like simplicity. I can’t go with bright colors and wild trendy things. I like to do my own style but fit in a little bit of a trend piece here and there.”

Even though Dineen captured her own personal style, her students also help her find trendy pieces.

“I get inspiration from my students,” said Dineen. “If a student, like Abby [Laverriere] walks in, I’ll be like ‘wow, I would’ve never thought of putting that together.’  My students have really been a big help. “

Laverriere found Stitch Fix through Dineen, as they talk about clothing together.

“Mrs. Dineen told me [about  it],” said Laverriere. “She was really excited about it, and I was like ‘Oh wow, that sounds like something I would like’ because I don’t like going shopping or anything.”

While Stitch Fix is strictly a female clothing service, there are male options. Junior Patrick Pearl found Trunk Club–a male and female styling service-through an advertisement on social media.

“I went through the whole process and clicked on everything,” said Pearl.  “I gave them my information and stuff. I didn’t actually have the money to pay for it I was just interested in looking at it.”

When using a service such as Trunk Club, the company sends items they think the customer would like, and the customer keeps the clothes for ten days to decide whether or not to keep it. The shipping and handling for the items is free, unlike Stitch Fix which has a 20 dollar styling fee.

“[There is a 20 dollar styling fee] but it gets deducted if you keep something,” said Dineen. “So, if you keep any of your products, they take it off. If you buy all five products they send you, they take of 25 percent.”

Shipping the items can typically be adjusted to the shoppers preference on each styling service as to how often they want them. Shoppers can set a new shipment as often as once a month or every few months.

“I have another shipment coming in for a trip I’m taking to Cancun,” said Dineen. “It’s a destination wedding, so I asked them to put an outfit together that I can wear to the wedding.”

On Stitch Fix, users can write a note to their stylist giving suggestions on what they would like for that shipment. However, some of the items the company sends can get a bit expensive.

“I tend to bargain shop,” said Dineen. “When she’s [the stylist] sending you a sweater for 68 dollars, it’s like ‘could I have gotten that at TJ Maxx for cheaper?’”

While Stitch Fix gets to know your personal style through asking multiple questions online, Trunk Club gets to know its shoppers through a phone call with their personal stylist in addition to the online questionnaire.

“They’re really on top of it,” said Pearl. “Your person [stylist] is there. They called me [and] they were like, ‘We have your stuff ready if you want it’. I just ignored it because I didn’t really want to sign up. I didn’t know they’d appoint me a sales person.”

unnamed-3

Abby Laverriere

Not having time is a big component for Dineen. She feels Stitch Fix benefitted her through the items they send her every month.

“They’re getting me some key components to my wardrobe,” said Dineen. “They’ll give me four cards [with clothing ideas], and they’ll take that one shirt with a different pair of pants, or a different skirt. It gives me more ideas so I don’t have to buy as much.”

So far, Laverriere received only one box from Stitch Fix. However, she feels the stylist company benefitted her through its helpful tips and tricks.

It’s kind of like Christmas whenever you get a box,”

— Abby Laverriere

Laverriere said.

Pearl sees the styling service in a different way than Dineen. For him, it’s to look at the clothes he may not think of getting in the first place.

“Maybe they’d send me something I wouldn’t have thought of wearing before,” Pearl said.

Finding things they may not think to wear is important to Dineen in her Stitch Fix findings. The stylist helps find clothes that make her look her best.

“They [the stylist] fit you to the way you know your body is,” said Dineen. “They’re able to tailor what they pick out for you to fit your body.”

Dineen appreciates Stitch Fix, and thinks it would benefit people in multiple predicaments.
“I think Stitch Fix is for the person that doesn’t have any style,” said Dineen. “That doesn’t know how to put anything together. It’s [also] for the person that’s busy, and they just don’t want to take their time going shopping. I personally feel like I have a decent style, but to me, this is working out because I don’t have to do that shopping.”