The Monthly Five: March’s Picks

Lauren Paquet, Staff Writer

This month, I decided to honor some throwback songs from some of my favorite artists. It’s always interesting to look back at how their personal styles have changed and observe which ones are still making music and which ones have stopped. Nevertheless, all of these were some of my favorites back in the early 2000s, and they still remain my favorites now.

Now, for this month’s top five:

“Chasing Cars” by Snow Patrol

This song will always be one my my favorites. It’s calming and perfect if you’re in the mood to relax. It has beautiful lyrics and a very mellow beat. Snow Patrol is an alternative band from Ireland, and unfortunately, has stopped making music. Although I wish they would have continued making music, it’s nice to remember them for this song as a good memory.

“Upgrade U” by Beyoncé ft. Jay-Z

For those of you who regularly read these, you know I had to include something by Beyoncé. This classic hit will always be one of my favorite songs, and with the combination of Jay-Z and Bey, you can’t go wrong. I’m glad Jay let her upgrade him, and hopefully these two make more songs together in the future.

“The Real Her” by Drake ft. Lil Wayne and André 3000

The old Drake is without a doubt the best Drake. This song has a slow, R&B beat and of course is a sensitive song about love as a lot of Drake’s music is. It combines regular singing with rap and lyrics that still maintain relevance and together it makes a timeless song.

“Sunday Morning” by Maroon 5

This is the type of song that instantly puts you in the best mood. It’s catchy lyrics and simple instrumental beat is perfect for not just a Sunday morning, but anytime you need a pick-me-up song. Maroon 5 has so many old songs that still remain my favorites, but this one takes the cake.

“Break It Off” by Rihanna ft. Sean Paul

It’s impossible to not sing along when this song comes on. It has a Latin flare, and Sean Paul’s faster style combined with Rihanna’s slower singing makes a dynamic pair (p.s. I wish Sean Paul still made music because “Temperature” is still the one of my favorite songs ever, too).
I hope you guys enjoy the throwback ideas, and feel free to mention your favorite throwback songs below! Until next month!