Off-season motivation and training

BHS athletes try to make the most out of their time off between sports.

Noah Gagne, Staff Writer

Lifting weights and conditioning, BHS athletes prepare for the spring season through vigorous training and motivation.

After the conclusion of the winter sports season, BHS athletes find themselves with at least two options: taking some time off or jumping right back into training. Senior indoor and outdoor track runner Trevor Jordan continues to practice after the indoor season by running in the off-season.

“Normally I just run on my own or with my friends,” said Jordan. “During this off-season, [our coach] made us a training schedule.”

Freshman lacrosse player Ryan Brown started his first season of lacrosse this spring. He knew he would have to start training early to be at least somewhat prepared. In between the winter season and lacrosse, Brown feels that he let himself go. He wanted to get in shape again so he would be ready to start lacrosse.

“I started lifting weights and practiced passing and catching with my [lacrosse] stick,” said Brown. “Once I noticed that my endurance was going down, I mixed weights with running for training.”

Staying healthy in the off-season is important to Jordan. He mixes a strict diet in with his training to preserve all of his physical progress from the previous season.

“I try to eat as healthy as possible,” said Jordan. “ And I always try to keep my mileage up.”

Sophomore softball player Brook Davis has high expectations for herself and her team this year. She trains for her personal development, but hopes that her team will develop as well.

“I work out, lift weights, run, and try and throw a ball and hit as much as I can,” said Davis. “[I want] to improve on stats as a team and as an individual, and to win States obviously!”

Unlike the others, Brown is starting fresh with his sport. He was really nervous to start the lacrosse season, but he changed to a positive mindset to ease himself into the new experience.

“At first I was scared of how much I’d embarrass myself… but now I don’t really care,” said Brown. “It’s a lot of fun!”

All three found a source of motivation during their training. Brown strived to be physically fit for the start of the lacrosse season and hoped he would be prepared.

“Half of [my motivation] is the overall feel-good feeling of being in shape,” said Brown. “The other half [is] that I like to know I’m semi-prepared for something that I’m just diving into.”

Starting the season with high expectations for himself, Brown was let down by his initial performance on the field.

“I guess I expected to be at least semi-decent for the first practice… huge mistake,” said Brown. “I sucked, but I’m having fun with it and doing my best, and in my book that’s what counts. Plus, if I suck, that just means there’s more room for improvement.”

While some athletes at BHS have found their motivation through a desire to physically improve themselves, Davis is motivated by a passion for their sport.

RyanBrown

Ryan Brown

Half of [my motivation] is the overall feel-good feeling of being in shape. The other half [is] that I like to know I’m semi-prepared for something that I’m just diving into.”

“I just have such a strong love for the game [softball],” said Davis. “I’m constantly thinking about the next game and the next season.”

Another student motivated by his passion for the game is junior baseball player Nick Gallant. His training routine goes all year long, beginning at the start of the school year.

“During the fall, I play football and try to get myself in better condition,” said Gallant. “During the winter, I lift here at the high school, and I also do workouts at Impact Fitness. I just try to get my body ready for the [baseball] season and try to get myself mentally and physically stronger and tougher.”

Gallant believes that it is easy to stay motivated during training because of his passion for baseball. He says it is his favorite sport of all, mostly because of his teammates.

“I just love playing the game,” said Gallant. “I love the competition that we’re going against, and I love having fun with my teammates.”

The countdown to baseball season is very exciting for Gallant, so he tries his best to stay updated. He often looks to Major League Baseball (MLB) when he has time off from his own season.

“I follow MLB regularly during the off-season to see what they’re doing, and I just keep myself motivated by saying ‘One more day’s gone… another day closer to baseball,’” Gallant said.

Not all athletes at BHS have the chance to practice for their sports in the off-season. Junior tennis player James Nunes finds it difficult to get out and train.

“It’s kind of hard to practice during the winter,” said Nunes. “It’s hard to go out and find a place [to practice].”

Nunes may not have a chance to train in the off-season, but that does not stop him from going into the season with a positive outlook. He’s attracted to the tennis team by how enjoyable the sport is and believes that cooperation is key.

“Tennis is just a really fun sport in general,” said Nunes. “It’s not always just a solo sport. You can play with another person, and there’s a lot of cooperation involved if you’re playing on a doubles team. You have to really be in sync with your partner, you have to cover your own side, and you have to rely on your partner’s abilities. If you can’t rely on them, then you’re probably going to the lose the match.”

Off-season training plays an important role in some athlete’s high school careers, but not for all. Sometimes a pure love for their sport is enough to keep them coming back each season. Some students at BHS decided to try a sport for the first time this spring. Now that spring sports have started, it is time for spring athletes to see if their motivation paid off.