“Lost boy” review

Lauren Paquet, Staff Writer

Hi everyone! This month, instead of doing the usual top five songs I’ve picked, I have decided to venture out to something new. MOXIE is a corporation that sends new music to school journalism classes, and I decided that I would gIve it a try to spice things up. I will be reviewing an unknown artist’s song called “Lost Boy.” This Canadian singer-songwriter is named Ruth B, who first started her career by posting singing videos on Vine. She immediately became “vine-famous,” after posting several 6-second clips of her singing various songs. This particular song is one that she wrote, and it received lots of praise from her viewers. However, at that point, Ruth B hadn’t finished the song. The praise she got from her fans on Vine prompted her to finish the song and post the full version on YouTube. So, without further ado, this is what I thought:

To start off, Ruth B’s voice is absolutely stunning. It’s delicate and lullaby-like, and she changes her pitch from a more singing style to more a talking style seamlessly. The song itself is about finding salvation in something that feels like home, similar to the movie “Peter Pan,” which B references a lot in the song. For B, it was about finding her home in music, and expressing herself freely through something she loved. This related to me with dance, which I use as an escape from real life. I think her message is very relevant and relatable for many teens who go through the same thing.

Everyone wants to have something in their life that take the pain away from reality, something that they ultimately get addicted to. The song is more than about fairies and pixie dust; it’s about finding a home away from home in something that makes you feel more alive than anything. I think the incorporation of Peter Pan kind of resonates deeply with a lot of teens, too and brings back memories of their carefree and happier childhood. The whole idea of having an imaginary world where you can do whatever you want is the freedom many people crave. For me, I always loved Peter Pan and the imaginary world it brought me into. That theme combined with Ruth’s beautiful voice created magical chemistry.

In my opinion, Ruth B has more talent and originality than many popular artists today (I won’t name any names but I think we all have similar ideas in our heads). We need more artists who have good messages in their songs that are both inspiring and intriguing to listen to. I hope this artist comes out with many albums in her bright future, and I hope to see her do many good things with her career.
Please feel free to listen to her song and comment below what you think! I would love to hear your guys’ opinions. Until next month!