Hats off to BHS

The school board abolishes the hat rule

Patrick Pearl, Staff Writer

Due to a recent school board vote, students can now wear hats in the hallways and during classes, as opposed to previous rule which prohibited students wearing hats in the school building.

Like many decisions on policy, there are people for and against the outcome of the vote. But the general feeling about the rule is a positive one, with a small amount of people who still believe that there should be a hat rule.

One of the people who is a proponent for the rule change is junior Nick Scavuzzo. Scavuzzo’s reasoning has to do with the age of the rule.

“I think the hat rule is too old fashioned,” said Scavuzzo. “We are in modern day society it’s okay to wear hats indoors.”

Much like Scavuzzo, social studies teacher Jon Edstrom believes that the rule is old fashioned, but rather than citing it  as a reason to get rid of it he sees this as a reason to keep the rule, saying that this rule is something he grew up with and is accustomed to.

“It’s a combination of old fashioned and respect type of thing.” Edstrom said.

Self expression is another reason Scavuzzo wants the rule to be changed, saying that a person should be able to wear any clothing they want.

“I think it’s a way of expressing yourself,” said Scavuzzo. “If sully wants to wear a fedora tomorrow he should be able to.”

He also alluded to the fact that he sees a growing number of students wearing hats saying that it is a way of expressing themselves.

“I have noticed that a lot of kids who never wore hats are now beginning to wear hats.” Edstrom said.

In addition Scavuzzo believes hats cause no harm to any students, mischief, or any distraction to the class.

“I think there shouldn’t be a hat rule because a hat rule is irrelevant there’s no violence involved in it, there’s no trouble there’s no distraction.” Scavuzzo said.

Not all people in the school feel the same way about the change to the hat rule. Edstrom feels exactly the opposite of Scavuzzo on the issue. Edstrom believes that the  decision should have been left up to the individual teacher but also acknowledges that this could create even more problems.

“I wish that they put in the part where they were going to leave it up to the individual teachers” said Edstrom. “But i feel like that would be opening up a can of worms.”

Although he was a proponent for the rule Edstrom is not very bothered by it and has not had any problems thus far. He does not expect to have any issues with students going forward.

“So far I haven’t had any issues… I don’t anticipate any issues.” Edstrom said.

A group of students are using the lift of the hat ban for other purposes, to bring pride to the school. Ever since the start of the season the first team baseball team has been rocking their black, white and orange team hats to school each day. Hunter Demeule insists that this will bring a sense of Tiger pride to the school.

“It’s about spreading the pride through the school because no other team seems to be wearing their hats and we felt like the school could use some more spirit so we wear our hats.” Demeule said.

Demule claims that it brings the team closer as a unit. He says that it is not a rule that each player has to wear the hat to school, but that they each choose to do it.

“Yes it brings us tighter, cause it’s like we’re all in a brotherhood,” said Demeule. “Its an unwritten rule you don’t have to do it but we do it anyways.”

Demule suggests that other teams wear their hats and gear more because it boosts morale  and may even result in teams playing better.

“I think other teams need to spread spirit and maybe that will help our teams win some games” Demeule said.

One student, junior Jacob Bilsky is redefining fashion in his own way since the hat rule has been lifted . Bilsky put little thought into what he wore to school before the rule, but after it was announced that students were clear to wear hats, he liked the idea.

“At first I didn’t really care about it but once they let you wear hats I was like, ‘That’s cool.’” Bilsky said.

Bilsky has donned many hats since the changing of the rule but most often wears his Tommy Bahama Panama hat which he bought on a recent trip with some friends. Adding that the well known brand bumped the price up at least fifty dollars.

“Me Colby Perron and Noah Gagne went into a hat store, and so I decided I should have a Panama hat,” said Bilsky. “It doesn’t look like it would be an expensive hat but because of the name right there Tommy Bahama that added like fifty bucks onto.”

Bilsky’s reason to wear the hat is that it makes him feel like Theodore Roosevelt who was known to have worn panama hats and is often pictured wearing one.

“It makes me feel like I’m going to go out and build a canal.” Bilsky said.

Along with the Panama hat Bilsky has another hat with another story behind it. Bilsky acquired a black cowboy hat on a trip to visit his grandparents in Arizona last February. Although he claims that he can’t wear it very often.

Jacob Bilsky, Junior

“I went out with my grandma and we bought it for my birthday,” said Bilsky. “I don’t wear it as much because I only have one black shirt that works with it.”

For Bilsky the fact that he could wear a hat to school changes his whole way of dressing for school.

Before I started wearing hats I really didn’t care what I was wearing,” said Bilsky. “Now that I actually have a hat, the hat makes it worthwhile to dress up.”

— Jacob Bilsky

Whether it’s because they believe it brings pride to the school or that it elevates the way they dress, students at Biddeford High School now have the freedom to wear the head wear of their choice.