Breaking the record

Senior Taylor Turgeon breaks the lacrosse scoring record

Mia Martel, Staff writer

For most students, breaking one record is great, but breaking two records is even better.

Senior and lacrosse player Taylor Turgeon, has already made her way into the record books by breaking the lacrosse assist record, but now she can add breaking the scoring record to her list of achievements as well. During a home lacrosse game against Oxford Hills Turgeon scored five goals, which pushed her scoring total to 65, breaking the record.

Varsity Girls lacrosse head coach Caitlyn Albert, coached Turgeon throughout her high school career, but wasn’t necessarily expecting her to break two records.

“I know that we’re a young program so I knew she was going to beat the assist record,” said Albert. “She just really has a knack for finding open holes for scoring opportunities for other people, and that’s a talent I’ve seen her have. She’s not one to be selfish with the ball, and I knew she would get a lot of goals but not get the record.”

Since the varsity lacrosse program is young, only eleven years old, Albert felt like it wasn’t completely out of the question that she could beat it. The last person to hold the record was Jenna Roy, who scored 48 in a single season.

“I didn’t think it was out of the possibility, but I didn’t put much thought into it,” said Albert. “I was thinking no one’s scored 48 a season, so no one’s really going to break it. But at the same time, Taylor was very consistent over four years, and that’s how she got to break the record.”

The week of this game, Albert was preparing Turgeon to break this record by giving her a pep talk, and letting people know that it was going to happen.

“I talked to her the week of it [the game],” said Albert. “She was averaging 4 goals a game, so if she met the average at what she had been playing, then she was going to break it. We let the athletic director know, and we got excited for the thought of it happening.”

Albert not only feels that Turgeon is a great team player, but also an amazing leader for the team as well.

“You can’t get an assist record without people to pass to, and we can’t really get goals without a solid defense to stop shots and transition,” said Albert. “It’s kind of like a team accomplishment, and I think the girls are definitely treating it as that. She’s someone that the players can look up to and to potentially be that good someday.”

Even from the start of the season Turgeon knew how close she was to breaking it. Although Turgeon was surprised it happened, she also felt like it was possible within her high school career.

“Coming in as a freshman I didn’t think I was going to make varsity,” said Turgeon. “Everything’s been focused on my team and not my personal goals, but breaking records adds to the greatness of this program.”

Turgeon’s team couldn’t be any more supportive of her with breaking the record. Even from the start of the season her team wanted to make sure it happened.

“A couple people in particular were really supportive of it [breaking the record],” said Turgeon. ”Every game they would be like ‘Taylor going to score some goals today’. They were really uplifting and the didn’t necessarily think I was being selfish or anything, which I don’t try to be at all.”

Junior and team mate Rebekah Guay, loves what Turgeon does for team and her ability to help her teammates, whether on their on the field or not.

“Playing with Taylor has been really great on and off the field,” said Guay. “On the field she is athletic and always keeps her cool. Off the field, she is a great friend and teammate. Taylor has definitely helped me gain confidence on and off the field.”

Guay feels that the support from the team, and Turgeon’s passion for the sport, were things that definitely contributed to Turgeon breaking the record.

I am super proud of her for breaking the record,” said Guay. “I think she did so by taking lacrosse seriously, and always working hard. As a team, I think we all supported her, and we are all proud of her for breaking the record.”

— Rebekah Guay

Throughout Turgeon’s high school sports career, she’s had some ups and downs, but they’ve made her the person and player she is today.

“I think I’ve been very successful,” said Turgeon. “Some years were less successful than others, but you build upon your mistakes. I have definitely made a lot of mistakes in my sports career, but to be able to capitalize on what you can, and live with what you can’t do. I’ve grown as a player and a person through lacrosse, and I think it’s been a tremendous experience for me.”