The Monthly Five: May’s Picks

Lauren Paquet, Staff Writer

Hello everyone! I’m back with my monthly five songs after a quick break from my routine last month. So much good music dropped in April and I have to say I almost had a heart attack when both Drake and Beyonce dropped music in the same week. However, those of you who read these things regularly (thank you for suffering through them, by the way) know that I am obsessed with Queen Bey, but this album didn’t sit right with me after hearing allegations that she lied about husband Jay-Z’s cheating to sell more albums. Besides the fact that I wasn’t really crazy about many songs on the album in the first place, hearing that news made me even more apprehensive about it. Views, on the other hand…all I can say is I now know what God sounds like. So, here are this month’s top five:

1. “Never Be Like You” by Flume ft. Kai

This band always blows me away with a stellar single, and this song certainly did not disappoint. Flume makes electronic music with an alternative vibe to it, and Kai on this track makes it complete. The song itself is about a girl who cheats on someone she loves with someone she got caught up in the moment with, and you can feel the passion in her voice. This song makes me very excited to hear Flume’s next album, “Skin.”

1. “Impatient” by Jeremih

This song is R&B like many of Jeremih’s songs, however, it features his vocals beautifully like no other. It has a simple beat, and goes from a faster pace to a slower one seamlessly. It’s about being impatient (if you couldn’t already tell) about a girl…I’ll just leave it at that.

1. “Controlla” by Drake

This is probably my favorite track off of Drake’s new album. It’s upbeat and lighthearted, and I’m not even ashamed that I know every word. This will definitely be one of those timeless songs that will always put me in a better mood.

1. “Come and See Me” by PARTYNEXTDOOR ft. Drake

I know what you’re probably thinking–too much Drake, Lauren, please chill out. But I really cannot chill; He is too amazing and I am too much of a fangirl. PND brings the softness out in this track, and Drake pretty much brings it to life with his always on-point rapping. These two artists together are a match made in heaven.

1. “Body” by Dreezy

This song is such a jam, and I’m almost positive it will be all over the radio this summer. It has a catchy beat and lyrics, and in my opinion is impossible to dance and sing along to in the car (I’m so glad more good songs can contribute to my horrible driving!!!)
Thank you to everyone who read any of my columns this year! I really hope I introduced you to some new good music! Until next year!