Advice for enjoying high school

Meg Friel, Editor in Chief

As I come into the last few months of my senior year, I’m shocked by how fast the time has gone by. The past four years have blurred together into one hectic, insane, blissful and, at times, overwhelmingly saddening adventure. Reflecting on my past four years, I think of the advice I’d have given myself as a freshman, sophomore, or even junior. Being that I am now older and all the more wise, I see this as an opportunity to address my past self with my some advice for enjoying, (not surviving), high school.

As a freshman, I came into high school as if I had just been popped out of my bubble of sanctitude that I’d been living my entire life. I was introduced to new music, new people, and new perspectives that I truly believe helped shape me into the person I am today. I’m afraid I took this for granted. As a senior now, I wish I could go back to the days I spent back then, meeting new people almost every day who influenced different parts of me. These were the people that gave me my sense of humor, my strength, and my confidence – however, I still felt lost. I was afraid to embrace who I wanted to be. I feel as though this was the one part of high school that took awhile for me to catch up with. I always had an idea of who I wanted to be – I wanted to be stronger, more independent, amongst many other things. I wanted to dress in the clothes that I liked, but never felt confident enough to wear them. I wanted to embrace who I was at full-speed, but I don’t know if I was there yet. It took time, which was deserved, but had I taken these strides earlier, I would have broken out of my shell much quicker and been able to be truly happy. This, I regret.

However, I believe the biggest lesson I needed to learn was one that I found in the small moments of high school – high school, or life in general, is made up of small moments. When reflecting back on high school, my favorite nights were the ones that came so unexpectedly. From getting coffee with someone I barely talked to during halftime of a football game, to getting Rapid Rays at midnight with a friend-of-a-friend-of-a-friend, these are the moments I won’t forget. I’ve spent the past few months of my senior year thinking over and over of how ready I am to leave high school. I’ve made peace with who I am now – who my friends are, who I’ll miss, and all of this is true. I won’t miss the sometimes tedious homework, or the fights with my parents, or the gossip between friends. Every part of me is ready to leave, but I will miss these moments, because college is so vast with so many people. It’s no longer the familiar small town that I’ve known and learned to love after 17 years, and I won’t find these small connections with that run through Biddeford High School. These are the moments that I will remember. These moments are rare and wonderful – do not take them for granted. In fact – don’t take anything for granted, because these moments go by in the blink of a second.