My first drivers test

the dreadful day of going for my license

Julia Murray, Staff Writer

There comes a day in every teens life when she or he starts driving. Most will attend driving school at the of age 15 and get their permit. If not, they wait until they are eligible to go straight for their license instead. My parents sent me to driving school because they wanted to get me on the road as soon as I could. I always struggled finding rides home growing up and when I finally turned 16 and had my permit for about a year, I couldn’t wait to go for my license. Little did I know, I should have been way more prepared for the test.

Anybody who knows me will say I am a very nervous person. I constantly fidget and make myself sick with worry on a daily basis. So when the day came to finally take my drivers test, I was extremely anxious to the point I could barely hold down the cereal I ate for breakfast.

I was sitting in my car, looking over the material I needed to know, when the driving instructor approached me. He was plump with white hair and had a white beard almost resembling Santa. But let me tell you, he was no Santa. He then looked at me unpleased and said, “You’re funny,” but I could tell by the tone of his voice whatever he thought was funny… wasn’t actually funny.

I sat there nervously and wondered what I did wrong. The old man told me that I was supposed to have backed my car into the parking space before the test. I realized this wasn’t a good start. He jumped into the passenger seat, gave some instructions and finally told me to start the car. I, of course, had an extremely hard time getting out of the parking lot. I immediately took the wrong exit and struggled to back myself out. You think I would’ve known since the arrows were clearly stating you couldn’t enter, but I didn’t.

A few minutes later, I finally got onto the street. He never once actually talked to me. He only spoke to me in a very monotone voice, in which he told me which direction I would take next.

To save you the long and horrifying details of what happened I’ll just cut to the chase. I failed. I failed miserably and felt terribly embarrassed. Although most kids will fail on their first time, I felt depressed because of it. The thing is, I never did well under pressure. If you really think about it, that person is a complete stranger to you. They are watching your every move, and if you don’t do everything perfect you fail!

I sent out for my license again shortly and did perfectly. I didn’t have Santa for the second time (thank god). Instead, a slightly younger man was my instructor. He was probably in his late 40’s and fairly tall. He let me ask any questions I wanted to know before the test and was very kind. He also tried to have conversations with me the whole time through to make me less nervous.It couldn’t of lasted longer than 10 minutes. He had no complaints and gladly handed over my license. I was super proud of myself that I had finally accomplished something that felt almost impossible to me at first.

For all of you that got your license on your first try, good for you. It’s not an extremely easy task to handle your nerves when you don’t know what to expect. And for the kids that didn’t get it on the first try, it’s okay. Most people take it more than once and it isn’t a big deal.

There’s a saying that eventually, you will look back on the embarrassing things you went through and laugh at them. I don’t think this one is quite funny to me yet but, I’m working on it.