Lessons I’ve learned

Lauren Paquet, Editor

Hi everyone! For my last column ever, I want to share some lessons I’ve learned these past four years. It’s definitely been a rollercoaster for me, and I’ve learned a lot about myself. For example, I learned how to actually do my eyebrows that were horrendous, and no one told me!!! (not bitter) I also learned a lot about friendship, boys (ugh), and my personal values and morals instead of the ones that have been taught to me since I was a little Catholic school girl (lol). So here are some of the most important lessons I’ve learned that I hope can help you through the rest of your high school experience:

1. Don’t worry so much about things that won’t matter in the long run

A lot of petty high school drama starts with a ‘he said, she said’ rumor, and it’s usually a twisted version of the truth. The most important thing to remember is that most of these things won’t matter one day. The best solution is to go to the person you’re having a problem with and work it out instead of getting others involved. Also, boys are never worth your tears. Ever.

1. Get involved and go to social/sporting events

You only get one chance to be in high school, so even if you think going to football games or homecoming is stupid, it’s these things that you’ll wish you went to when you’re older and have so many more responsibilities. From being a part of the Beak Squad to all the fun times with my friends getting ready for school dances, being a part of the social aspect of high school gave me a special way to bond with my class and friends. Plus, it’s a lot of fun to be social and put yourself out there! It gives people a chance to get to know you, and you could find other people just like you that you would have never met if you didn’t leave your bed!

1. Make sure your group of friends supports you and that you can trust them

Throughout high school, you’re probably going to lose a lot of friends and make a lot of friends. Your friend group will most likely be different from what it was in middle school, and that’s okay. High school is a time to grow and learn more about yourself, and sometimes outgrowing certain people is for the best. What’s important is that you find a group of people who are trustworthy and have your best interests in mind. Also, it’s important that you have people you can go to at any hour of the day or night to talk to or who give you a shoulder to cry on.

1. Don’t feel like you have to do what everyone else is doing

There are going to be opportunities for you in high school to do things you know aren’t right and could get you in trouble. If you aren’t comfortable doing something, just say no and get yourself out of that situation. Your future self will thank you for it. I can personally say that it’s so much better to stand up for yourself than to wait for someone else to and never feel like you have to do or go along with something.

1. Surround yourself with people that influence you in positive ways

I can’t stress enough that the people you surround yourself with is everything. It affects your attitude, your mannerisms, your outlook on life–literally everything. I hope everyone finds a group of people–whether it’s in high school, out of school, or even later in life–that they truly feel they fit in with. It’s so important to have people who understand you and are there for you no matter what. Personally, I have found a few really good friends throughout these past four years, and I know that they will be in my life for a very long time.