Unique long term substitute says goodbye to a wonderful experience

Miss+B%2C+a+long+term+substitute+at+BHS%2C+enjoys+the+atmosphere+of+the+high+school+and+will+miss+her+time+spent+here.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Miss B, a long term substitute at BHS, enjoys the atmosphere of the high school and will miss her time spent here.

Jacob Pinkham, Staff Writer

A former long term substitute now gone from Biddeford High School had the intense job of making multitasking look easy straight from college. She helped students all over the class as well as answering questions. It is hard, but the recent student from the University of Maine Farmington made it seem easy.

Sarah Boiselle, or as she would like to be called “Miss B”, takes the path of responsibility and teaching Biddeford High School students. When Shari Brinkman-Young went on a semester-long leave to go back to school, Miss B. was hired to take over her English classes. She taught and gained trust with her students to give them the education they need.  

“I will forever only teach [grades] 9-12. I couldn’t see myself teaching any of the younger grades,” Miss B said. “I love it. I went to a high school very similar to Biddeford.”

Miss B. studied English education University of Maine Farmington. As part of her coursework to become a teacher, they put her right into a class environment. She taught 137 high school seniors in different English classes.

Early on, she had to tell her students that their friend wasn’t coming back when he was found terminally ill. This created a trust bond with her and the students during her time learning and teaching in Farmington.

“As horrible as the situation was, I am extremely thankful that I had a moment like that to teach me who I am as a teacher,” said Miss B.

After college, she was sitting in a cubicle at her desk and looked for a job opening on Serving Schools, with very few English openings in York County. She saw the opening at Biddeford and applied for the English substitution job. Miss B. was very excited she said, she had heard a lot of good things about the school.

“It was really exciting for me to like, find the opening,” said Miss B. while continuing to talk about her first interview  “I said absolutely! Anything to be in this school, I will take whatever you’re willing to give me.”

When asked what led her to start teaching she said it would have to be her mother. Even though, since a kid, she would always pretend to be a teacher.

“[Her Mother] knew [I was going to be a teacher] from the time I was five …I always knew I was going to teach,” said Miss B.

At Biddeford she’s gaining trust with her students, which is a hard thing to do in any situation. Miss B. makes it a point in all classes to get that same kind of connection with her students. Being able to gain that same trust without something tragic is a skill that all teachers should have.

Miss B. has a go-getting attitude with a goal to make learning fun and a great experience for everyone.

“I try to have fun. I tell [students] at the beginning of the school year that I will make myself look like a buffalo dancing on a mini-trampoline and I don’t care if they laugh at me or with me, a long as they’re laughing,” said Miss B.

A first week at any job can be hard or frustrating but surprisingly, Miss B. felt quite differently here at Biddeford.

“The first week of teaching is always a really amazing experience!” said Miss B.

According to Boiselle,  her high school was very similar to Biddeford.

“I wish I could stay but I have to leave. My time has come and I wish my kids nothing but the absolute best” ”

— Miss B.

“The atmosphere was kinda the same, being in Biddeford the sports pride and everything, it just comes really naturally to me and I love it,”  said Miss B.

When asking other students about Miss B. there was a common answer as to liking her.

“Yeah, she has an unique style,” said sophomore Nicole Montpas.

Miss B. is no longer a substitute for Mrs.Brinkman-Young since Dec. 21. since Mrs.Brinkman-Young coming back to teach again. She hopes to return to work here after this school year as an English teacher if a job is available, she said.

“I wish I could stay but I have to leave. My time has come and I wish my kids nothing but the absolute best,” said Miss B.