Seniors sign college commitment letters to continue their athletics at the next level

Back to Article
Back to Article

Seniors Taylor Wildes (right) and Sam Mills (left) sign their commitment letters with their parents on April 24. GRACE LAVERRIERE/The Roar

Grace Laverriere, Senior Editor

On Wednesday, April 24, two seniors signed commitment letters to play sports at the collegiate level.

Seniors Taylor Wildes and Sam Mills attended a signing ceremony in the Little Theater to celebrate their pledge to play in college and their high achievement as athletes. Wildes signed a National Letter of Intent to play field hockey at the division two American International College in Springfield, Massachusetts, and Mills signed an athletic agreement to run cross country, indoor, and outdoor track at the division one University of Maine Orono.

The commitment process has many different factors to consider. Prospective students must look not only at the team, but at the location and academics as well.

“I really like how it [AIC] is closer to home, and the campus is smaller–it’s mainly athletes,” said Wildes. “The team and coach were very inviting, and they also have a good program for my major [criminal justice].”

While there were other schools in mind, Mills said the University of Maine was the right fit for him.

“Last summer I began narrowing [the search] down, and I was still talking to a few other coaches,” said Mills. “UMaine was the best [for me] and I liked it the most. I knew this was the school I wanted to go to, so I committed after my overnight [visit].”

Wildes said she’s always known she wanted to be a college athlete, but the dream became more of a reality when she began high school.

“When I started doing travel field hockey, coaches began reaching out to me and wanting me on their roster. I realized I was good enough to [make it],” said Wildes, who recently helped lead the field hockey team to a state championship. “I really love field hockey so I wanted to keep playing.”

Continuing with a sport at the next level requires determination and a support system. Mills said his main support system has stemmed from his family.

“All three of my coaches have really helped me, and so have my parents,” Mills said.

Both Wildes and Mills are devoted to their sports, and they’re very passionate about improving and continuing to grow as athletes.

“[After college], my goal is to run a marathon,” Mills said.

Wildes agreed, she said she was not going to stop playing field hockey after college.

“After graduating, I’d like to be a field hockey coach,” Wildes said.

Seniors Wildes and Mills are excited to join the higher level of athletics in college, but they won’t forget their Biddeford roots. 

“My family and my coaches have really pushed me and helped me become the athlete that I am today,” Wildes said.