Movie Theaters: Thriving or Barely Surviving?

Do movie theaters have a chance, or are streaming services going to take them over?

Colby Perron, Staff Writer

Everyone enjoys a Saturday afternoon at their favorite movie theater, or at least they used to prior to the release of streaming services such as Netflix since 2007 and Hulu since 2011.

Since 1905, movie theaters have been a popular place among all ages. The ability to see one’s favorite actors in a race against time to complete a certain task has drawn moviegoers for over 100 years, however, in past years movie theater attendance has dropped. According to slashfilm.com, 2014 hosted the lowest attendance rate since 1995 with only 1.26 billion tickets sold, at a 6% drop since 2013.

Many students have been a part of that 6% due to the usage of online streaming services such as Netflix. Sophomore Anthany Therrien uses Netflix more than going to the movies.

“I use Netflix a lot,” said Therrien. “I actually use it daily, to stream movies and tv shows.”

Sophomore James Nunes also uses a lot of Netflix, often using it nightly to stream movies and television shows when he’s at home.

“[I use Netflix] usually every day,” said Nunes. “I usually watch tv shows, but I do watch movies multiple times a week,”

Junior Frank Mason says that it is easier and cheaper to just use Netflix rather than visiting a theater.

“I use Netflix more because I don’t have to waste gas to go over to the theater, and I don’t have to waste money on the overpriced popcorn and tickets,” said Mason. “Instead, you can just pay seven dollars per month and watch as many movies or tv shows as you want on Netflix.”

However, many students are guilty of enjoying the smell of butter and nachos while being fully immersed in surround sound at the theater, whether it be often or not.

“The last time I went to see a movie was in 2013 to go see Insidious 2,” said Therrien. “I enjoy going, but it’s too much money.”

Sophomore Calea Roy attended the theater over the summer and also enjoyed the experience. However, Roy agrees with Therrien on the high price, saying that the most expensive part of actually attending a film is the snacks.

“You can’t just go to the theater and not get something to eat, it’s part of the experience.” Roy said

Roy says that movie snacks are often not even sold due to the cheaper outside food.

“People have been sneaking in snacks for a long time,” explained Roy. “You’d think that the movie theater would catch on and lower its snack prices, but obviously they haven’t caught on.”

While most students claim to rarely attend the theater, sometimes, a movie comes out who pulls people in by the masses. One movie in particular seems to be pulling many people in is Marvel’s newest movie, The Avengers: Age of Ultron. Freshman Spencer Arnold attended the Avengers, making it the first time in a while he attended the theater.

“I went last Sunday to go see Avengers: Age of Ultron,” said Arnold. “But I don’t actually remember the last time I went to a movie before Avengers.”

Nunes also attended Age of Ultron over the weekend, stating that he only goes if there is a really good movie out.

“I went to the theater to see Age of Ultron with my friends over the weekend with my friends,” said Nunes. “I try to go as often as I can, but I only like to go see movies that look interesting which only come out once every few months.”

However, despite the pull of the newest Avengers, it is unlikely that the attendance of movie theaters overall will go up. In fact, most students don’t think movie theaters will last much longer.

“Theaters are done for,” said Therrien. “Streaming movies is cheaper and easier. I give theaters 10 years tops.”

Some students have more faith in the theaters than Therrien. Most people saying that movie theaters may last a bit longer.

“Everything is being digitized nowadays, I think theaters will be gone in 20 or so years,” Mason said.

However, Nunes believes that movie theaters have a chance to change their fate if they change the way they’re operated.

“I believe movie theaters will hold up longer if they introduce new things, like how Smitty’s operates,” said Nunes. “You can go and have a meal and talk to people while watching the movie rather than sitting in the traditional theater.”

Whether or not an avid moviegoer at the theater, these students agree that movie theaters are in trouble in the future. Most likely they will be taken over by online streaming sites such as Netflix and Hulu. However, Nunes believes that because of the big differences, theaters still have a chance.

“It’s all about the experience. You can watch as many movies as you want at home, but nothing equals the experience of sitting in a theater with good friends, enjoying a great movie.”