An example for all

A senior who is being recognized for his leadership

Alex Chase, Staff Writer

Achievement appears in a variety of forms, some bigger than others. For a senior here at BHS, his personality brought home the win for him this time around.

On Tuesday, May 2nd, Austin Dutremble was selected as the Role Model of the year at the Varsity Maine Awards. Being only the second year this award program is in action, it was created to give student athletes across Maine a chance to be recognized for their efforts on and off the field. Five finalists were chosen for each of the twelve categories, for example the Unsung Hero, Academic Ace, the Wow Factor and many more. The winner for each is announced at the award show.

“My category was the first one,” said Dutremble. “I was pretty nervous, and when I heard my name called I was shocked because I didn’t think I was going to win it.”

Dutremble is a four-year varsity starter for the basketball team and a member of the football team. He believes his hard work and dedication is what made him stand out from the rest of the nominees.

“I think the biggest reason [why I deserve the award] was the struggles of our basketball team the first three years,” said Dutremble. “I just tried to motivate my teammates every day to come to practice working hard.”

According to Dutremble, it’s an event like no other. However this wasn’t just an event for the nominees. Beach balls were tossed around to keep the audience loud and engaged. The Hot 104.7 DJ’s kept music roaring throughout the event, and an elaborate red carpet was rolled out for pictures and interviews with the nominees.

“It was really different from any other banquet I have been to, in a good way,” said Dutremble. “There was music playing all the time, it was a really cool event.”

Being the leader he is, Dutremble’s strong guidance led his team to its first basketball playoff appearance since 2012. His fellow senior captain, Caleb Ball, believes Dutremble brings much more to the court than just basketball skills.

“Austin is very committed to what he does,” said Ball. “He leads his team with action and puts in 110%.”

Playing by Dutremble’s side in both football and basketball,  Ball saw first hand what a role model should represent. A person that a teammate can always go to.

“Just do the best at what you’re asked to do and fit your role on the team,” Ball said.

Dutremble urges future student athletes to attend not only sports with a positive attitude, but also in the classroom as well.

“Try to do everything you would want to be known as,” said Dutremble. “Always treat other people the way you would want to be treated.”

Dutremble received a specially made Winterstick Snowboard along with a swag bag. His athletic and academic success will follow him to the University of New England next fall where he will study medical biology and partake in the Nor’Easters new football program.