Athlete Spotlight – Erin Martin

Gabby Hamm, Staff Writer

What has made you so successful this season?

At first it was hard to work together, but from preseason to now we’ve come a long way.

How does it feel to be playing soccer this season?

It was so much better than last season because going from being unable to play to starting this season. It was just awesome to be out there and happy is just an awesome feeling

Do you believe your team’s records effectively shows your team’s achievements?

Not at all. We’ve come so far from all the injuries last year to all the injuries this year, and we’ve definitely competed in all of our games. I wish we would’ve had a better record but there’s nothing we can do.

Do you believe that soccer is a growing sport in our school?

We definitely need more numbers. It used to be but I feel like we need to develop more at the younger age.

Do any of the underclassmen look up to you?

Ailaina Keely always tells me I’m her role model on and off the field.

How did your knee injury impact your soccer career at BHS?

It definitely made me a lot stronger. I didn’t think it would have that much effect but it also made sports more enjoyable once I could play them again. I didn’t take advantage of being able to play.

What are your goals for the future in competing in this sport?

I probably won’t continue playing in college, but I will focus more on playing softball. I might do intramural or something like that.

How has this sport impacted your senior year so far?

It was pretty fun with the seniors, and it was nice to play with everyone one last time because we all started playing together when we were five. So it was nice to have one last season with them and the underclassmen too.

What are you going to miss about doing high school soccer?

I will miss preseason next year because yes it’s awful, but it’s also kind of fun at the same time. I will definitely miss not being able to play again.