Caps, gowns, and changes make an appearance at graduation this year

The Class of 2014 experiences the first redesigned Biddeford High School Graduation Ceremony.

The Class of 2014 throws their caps and shoots some confetti at the end of their graduation ceremony.

As the end of the year rolls around, it seems that graduation and other end of the year ceremonies are all that anyone can talk about, especially this year.

From shortened speeches to arrangement changes to the ceremony, the graduation celebrating the Class of 2014 was definitely different from previous years.

Although the speeches were granted to the same graduates and staff, some of the speeches occurred at different times than normal. For example, the Class Historians’ performance, the Class Advisor’s address, and the Class President’s address appeared at Senior Assembly three days prior to graduation. Senior, and now BHS alumni member, Keely Gendron comments on the changes.

“I didn’t mind the changes,” said Gendron. “I can’t think of anything I didn’t truly like.”

This positivity remained throughout all of the changes, like the new seating arrangement. Now, the speaker faced the graduates, and the graduates’ parents sat on the field behind them. Monica Gatchalian, who plans to attend the University of New England in the fall, admired the new seating.

“The seating was interesting but I thought it was really good for the parents because it gave them an opportunity to see it happening in the same manner as the students,” Gatchalian said.

Gendron attests to that.

“I felt that it was more sentimental that the speaker was actually speaking to us and the crowd as well this year,” Gendron said.

Senior Joshua McCauley liked graduation this year, but for a different reason.

“Glad to see it go faster and focus more on the students,” McCauley said.

Another aspect that many liked was the efficiency and timeliness of the ceremony, Gendron describing it as “short, sweet, and to the point.”

“I thought it was good, considering the fact that last year graduation ended up lasting for so long,” said Gatchalian. “I thought the event flowed smoothly and we were able to finish in a matter of time.”

There were only two things that Gatchalian didn’t like, one being the scholarships; however, she recognizes it was in good intentions.

“The scholarships, however, kind of dragged the entire program, but it’s understandable to have it presented there instead of at the assembly since the parents actually get to see their child/children recognized,” said Gatchalian. “Many parents don’t attend the assembly as well, so that’s another good reason.”

Senior Cassie Ellis disagrees.

“I think that they [the changes] made some things way better,” said Ellis. “The scholarships were very nice…because people got to see what people received and it was a cool honor for those people.”

The other problem graduates, and anyone that attended, had was the heat. In fact, this was a common dislike among the graduates, Gendron saying that “the heat was just a bummer” while Senior Austin Avery feels a little more strongly, categorizing the temperature as “torturous.”

“The heat…was unbearable, especially since we had to wear the robes,” Gatchalian said.

However, like everyone agreed on the miserable heat, almost all graduates thought that “turning our tassels, confetti blasters, and throwing the caps,” as Avery put it, was the highlight of the ceremony.

“My favorite part would have to be throwing the caps in the air and knowing that you’ve made it through high school,” said Gatchalian. “It’s such a good feeling to know you’ve come so far and accomplished something big in your life.”

Ellis only saw one flaw with the ceremony, which may have been due to the mixed-gender walking partners.

“One thing that could of made it look a little neater could have been if they seated us in some kind of pattern and not all mixed around,” Ellis said.

Gendron also acknowledges the guest speaker’s speech as one of her favorite parts.

“Mrs.Cyr’s [speech]…was fun and light,” said Gendron. “The way she even started it off with taking selfies I think says it all…it was relatable and lovable like her.”

Mandy Cyr’s speech centered around the idea of happiness, asking the class what makes them happy and suggesting them to “seize this opportunity to find your happiness.” She related this to her experiences, telling of how her perception of happiness changed drastically as she continued in life. However, she recognizes that there are challenges.

“But as you know, it’s a tough world out there…nothing will be handed to you, you all have to earn it, and it will mean more to you in the end of the day because of that,” said Cyr. “I have no doubt that each one of you will earn it.”

Happiness seemed to be a common theme, as Amber Mondor touched upon both happiness and time in her Salutatorian address.

“I’m not happy to be leaving here, though, I’m happy to be going somewhere,” said Mondor. “I’m not waiting for it, either, because I look at the future as finding its way to me other than creeping myself towards it.”

Mondor also comments on the transition that comes with graduating high school.

“Instead of drawing this barrier that we have to cross between now and then, childhood and adulthood, high school students and graduates, we should just embrace an idea that nothing really changes, we just get better, we just learn,” Mondor said.

Danica Lamontagne speaks to the transition too in her Valedictorian address.

“Something that I personally have really liked all of my life is Disney, and even though some adults might think that a franchise supposedly aimed at children isn’t relevant to what you need to bring with you when you create your future, I know that when I visited Walt Disney World this winter, the message of ‘this place where dreams come true’ had an important influence on how I think we should define this transition point in our lives,” Lamontagne said.

Overall, this graduation exemplified tradition and fused them with modern and concise ideas. Graduation can be a hectic time, but the ceremony, unique in its composition, made this time of the year worth it. And as confusing as graduation can be, something that Mondor recognized, it remains one of the most treasured and honorable accomplishments.

“It’s so confusing to me how it feels like it’s already graduation while simultaneously it feels like it’s finally graduation.”