COVID Season


William Harriman, Columnist

The 2021 Biddeford Tigers Varsity basketball season was one like no other.  We started 2 months later than usual and only played 10 unranked games. It was just a completely different vibe and feel due to COVID protocols. We went a solid 4-6 for not playing any preseason scrimmages and not practicing how we normally would. Here’s how it went:


We started our first two games against TA then and fell to a quick 0-2. Then bounced back against Massabesic and got 2 big wins to bring us to 2-2. After that we faced a tough Kennebunk team losing both games closely and falling back down to 2-4. However, a kid on Kennebunk tested positive for COVID putting our whole team in quarantine for 10 days. Those ten days were the longest ten days ever. After our quarantine was over we had 4 games in 5 days. We started with Sanford and won both games bringing our record to 4-4. Then we lost to Portland to bring back down our record to 4-5. In our final game we faced Massabesic who we had beaten before, we ended the game flat and lost ending our season with a 4-6 record. 5 days later we got put into another quarantine to cap it all off. 


 The season did not end up how we wanted it to end up. No, we didn’t win as many games as we wanted to, but it wasn’t that. It was mainly all the COVID protocols and inconveniences we had to endure. We just weren’t used to it and it was super hard to adjust. The masks were definitely the worst of them all. Having a covering on both your breathing holes when playing and working hard makes it super hard to breathe. The social distancing and no high fives were also super hard to get used to. Ever since we were little we have always been in huddles looking at coaches drawing up plays this year we couldn’t do that. The no high fives was something that we never overcame, we’ve been giving each other high fives since pre-school days so it was super hard to break that habit. Overall, we were still very happy that we got to play, it wasn’t the same but having to wait 2 months to finally get the okay to play was very exciting, and the seniors got one last go at it.